[Question] GBA Overclocking while active

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Segger, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Segger
    OP

Segger Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    United States
    Hey everyone.

Now that my backlight mod is pretty much complete, I want to keep going with my current GBA.

I think next I'm going to install a second crystal for overclocking but I really want to be able to switch speeds while the GBA is still running, how can I do this?

I read here that:
    I don't want to take the chance to screw up my game either so I'm wondering if anyone would know how I could use a switch to overclock on the fly without having it mess up or if I need to use a transistor or something?

I know it's possible in some capacity because the GBAccelerator lets you do it but I dunno how..

2. malheur

malheur Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2016
    theoretically, you can overclock by swapping higher oscilator(crystal). or put a switch with parallelly connected higher clock oscilator and turn on the switch could works either since only higher clock oscilator working.

also, it works while turning on the game but only working normal to higher speed(of course reasonable higher clock). cannot turning back to normal while turn the game on. you have to turn gameboy off for back to normal speed.

i also tried for fun, but it was worthless since one way working.

btw, it doesnt permanently broke even if you fail. you can try feel free.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If you are cool enough to overclock a GBA (fairly pointless if you ask me but to each their own) then you should also be cool enough to be able to back up your saves.

Afraid I have not really looked into the GBA clock electronics and thus have no idea what is done for this when it comes down to the electronics. I imagine the main reason for messing up is it hits around the time of a clock pulse, if you managed to interrupt it and put it into a suspend mode at the time of switching it would make crashing less likely.

4. Segger
    OP

Segger Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    United States
    Hmmm... Well I don't have any crystal oscillators that are around 8mhz (just like ~20+) so I can't really just try it out without spending money..

I think I'll end up just getting GBAccelerator since it'd be cool to have it tied in to the button inputs. Looks like it's basically a variable oscillator or just a set of them on a board or something because to install it requires you to desolder the existing crystal lol.

Kinda wanted to avoid spending 20 more bucks on it but it'd def be cool. I don't think it's pointless since it'd make level grinding in RPGs a lot less of a pain and make my friends jealous :lol: