[Question] Does the community have any interest in another Rogue-like?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by AxiosAmnesia, Jul 20, 2017.

1. AxiosAmnesia
    OP

AxiosAmnesia Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    United States
    A few months ago I started developing a homebrew game call Reach For The Stars. The project is pretty far along and has a major chunk of the core functionality finished. As the project stands i'm quite happy with what i've accomplished for myself. So, my question to you is would anyone be interested in an original Rogue-like being released to the pubilc? It would still take a decent amount of development to see a release candidate, but definitely doable.

Screenshots from citra.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. pandavova

pandavova @pandavova FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Oct 27, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10 Pro
    I could try it out, but im more of a "Isaac like Rouge likes"...
    So if you want someone to test, hit me up :)

3. XXXTORTELLINI

XXXTORTELLINI ╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    No Idea
    I'm interested in trying this out

4. Pyra

Pyra GBAtemp Fan

May 7, 2017
    United States
    Ohio, USA
    yea i'd try it, though generally it's a better idea to make a post about it when it's released. if you release a homebrew app, usually someone out there would have interest in it anyways

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

5. AxiosAmnesia
    OP

AxiosAmnesia Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the offer. I will keep your name in mind if I need another tester.

Glad to hear it. What is your favorite thing about all the Rogue-likes you have played?

The reason i'm not making a release yet is because there is a decent amount of content that still needs to be added to the game. Also, I wasn't 100% sure I would finish the game if nobody was interested. Thats why.

pandavova likes this.
  6. XXXTORTELLINI

XXXTORTELLINI ╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    No Idea
    My favorite thing about rogue-likes is that most of the time they're games that I can play while listening to music without the music distracting me. (I'm a band student so music in games and movies distracts me from the content and I end up just listening to the music.)

7. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Antarctica
    Between the Sacred Silence and Sleep
    I love roguelike games... realised it when started playing df adventure mode, the perma death and all the options given to me- thats awesome! I like boi but its not roguelike- more of a roguelite... for example it has no starvation mechanics (things that will kill you if you wont progress quickly)
    Anyways I will be happy to see your project... especially the code

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'd like to see the DOOM rogue-like.

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY INTEREST!

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But we are already getting one after so many years. :P

11. AxiosAmnesia
    OP

AxiosAmnesia Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    United States
    "Takes interest"

My eight year old self finds this very interesting.

I never played much of df adventure mode, but I like your opinion about it. I think that would actually be a good way to implement difficulty in a non-abrasive way. For example, easy mode, you wouldn't have to worry about as many systems trying to kill you. It would even work to take out the whole hunger system. For hard you could add food rotting in your inventory if its been there to long. Thanks for sparking an idea for me!

Agreed. This would be awesome.

12. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    This looks nice as hell! I'd love to play this.

13. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Antarctica
    Between the Sacred Silence and Sleep
    The hunger is the smallest of problematic systems in the adventure mode. The diffuculty isnt linear to current progression- it is constant... there are rediculous systems like inventory menegment, some races and ppl inside them have different abilities to carry things in backpack, your waterskin cant carry more then a few days worth of water, cant travel alone - boogieman, some random super strong creatures can kill you in your sleep, or just apear and run to you super fast from the edge of the map... when you get stronger the game becomes easier and thats ok for a simulation game... like if you *spoiler* become a necromancer and kill a dragon and rise its dead body, or kill angels and get their armor */spoiler* you become so strong 90% of things cant touch you... it doesnt become harder... implementing part of the systems as automatic or not at all can make the easy mode not less fun...