Hacking [Question] Can you use Gateway cheats without the Gateway card?

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a noob question, but are you allowed to use Gateway cheats from the Launcher.dat on a real game cart? Or would it be possible for someone to implement a homebrew program that uses the Gateway cheat system because the cheat list looks very interesting and it's a lot better than NTR cheats.

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supercard did. It worked until the first update.
It'd be nice if someone could make a mod of Gateway's launcher.dat so you could enter emuNAND and use their cheat plugin on real games.
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Datel does this because the Action Replay for the Wii was able to launch from the Letter Bomb exploit if I do recall.
The only reason why I want to use Gateway cheats is because A: I want to relive the ACCF years with Gecko OS where all my friends used walk through walls codes and text to item codes to give free stuff out, or the moon jump cheat in LOZ: OOT. I don't want to be a dirty cheater in competitive online games, I just want to do cheats that you aren't allowed to do in original code.

Last edited by RyDog,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It'd be nice if someone could make a mod of Gateway's launcher.dat so you could enter emuNAND and use their cheat plugin on real games.
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Datel does this because the Action Replay for the Wii was able to launch from the Letter Bomb exploit if I do recall.
The only reason why I want to use Gateway cheats is because A: I want to relive the ACCF years with Gecko OS where all my friends used walk through walls codes and text to item codes to give free stuff out, or the moon jump cheat in LOZ: OOT. I don't want to be a dirty cheater in competitive online games, I just want to do cheats that you aren't allowed to do in original code.
Your options are to use NTR's cheat plugin or buy a Gateway card. There's no way to use GW cheats without the card atm and given how protective they are of their stuff, I wouldn't bank on one for a good while yet.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
gateway writes/reads their cheats from the redcard mSD so even if you could just use the GW launcher without without the red card (which you can't) you still couldn't use the cheat feature

Reactions: Zidapi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16