(Question) Can I use & play a Wii U without the gamepad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by petethepug, Mar 10, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I was thinking of buying a used Wii U. But I was unsure how well the Wii U would work without the gamepad, besides games that require the gamepad, how well can I navigate through the Wii U menu without encountering "please connect your Wii U Gamepad."

I'm asking becuase I would like to hack one to backup some of my Wii U Games I bought earlier. I don't want Nintendo to automatically update my Firmware via through sleep mode with internet.

2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

With Wiimote or classic Wii Controllers

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You are going to need a gamepad to hack the console, you can't get around that (once you install cbhc you don't need the gamepad). You also need the game to connect to the internet and use system settings.

4. kolosus

kolosus GBAtemp Regular

Jul 14, 2010
    United States
    You HAVE to have the gamepad to setup the device initially. After set up you can play and navigate it with a wii remote or a pro controller. Some games WILL NOT work and some games have added content in the gamepad that will not unlock/activate without the game pad. Ideally you'd should have access to a game pad once in a while. But playing the wii u without game pad is possible.

To load backups on the wii u you HAVE to have a game pad. Without the game pad you cannot get the device to load the internet that you need to launch the HBL.

5. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Alright guys thanks, whats werid is that I saw some Wii U's for sale around nearly the same price as a Wii, used or referbished.

What's funny is that the console is cheap, but the gamepad is much as the console. Its like buying a DS but for $50 but without the touch screen, and having to buy the touch screen separately for $150 :P

6. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Yup, I've seen people selling the gamepad for $170 Canadian/$126 USD here. I dread the day that gamepads break. I got my console for $250 Canadian. It is ridiculous...

7. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Maybe it was supposed to be a campaign to make the Wii U a better price for Nintendo.

That explains why it was $300 at launch :(

8. Trylk248

Trylk248 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    Actually, the console is operational without a Gampad. Altho, you won't be able to make drawings, do Wii U Chats, play games like Splatoon (when they could have done like on MK8 (using a minimap in a corner) when playing on the Gamepad). Pretty much it.