Question between gaming consoles and year born

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about how old/young/year born, one would need to be to appreciate a gaming console. Many users claim their favorite gaming console is x, yet they were born during the consoles production or they were born after the console was discontinued/next generation of consoles.

ex: Myself, being born in 1986, one year after the NES was released in the USA. Could I have been old enough to appreciate the NES during its run before the SNES? Probably not since I would have been only five once the SNES was released in 1991. I feel my first real/played/owned console was the SNES. The champion of the universe Street Fighter 2 matches I had with my friends, Zelda: A link to the Past, and Final Fight are all games that I played during their prime, everything else after was unknown and my subscription to GamePro was the only link I had to the gaming industry.

For some reason it erks me when someone that was born in, lets say 1994, says their favorite console is the Super Nintendo. These kids don't know anything the heated Sega vs. Nintendo arguments on playground with their 3rd grade buddies or they didn't experience Super Mario World when it was the newest Mario game out and Super Mario 64 was only in the "Coming Soon" section of magazines. So how can this be their favorite console when they were born towards the end of the consoles lifespan?

Now, I know someone who is younger can still appreciate something for what it was, but most of these people are still kids, and anyone under the age of 18 doesn't know SHIT about anything. Period. (My next post may be at what age someone realizes that their parents were right about everything and they didn't know shit about anything after all)

My overall question is, how soon do you think someone can claim a favorite gaming console (or anything for that matter) and not seem like WTF you were too young. For me it's as follows:

Year Born:
1982: NES/Master System
1988: SNES/Genesis
1992: N64/PSX
1998: PS2/DC/XBOX
????: PS3/Wii/360

Extra Credit (Opinion): What is the last year one is born that can appreciate the ORIGINAL console wars, Sega Vs. Nintendo?

This isn't a comparison of consoles wars, just age and consoles in general.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Aw fuck you Dookieman. I've dealt with 2 people today attacking me for my age. I don't need a third. I was born in 1994. And the SNES is tied with the N64 for my favorite system of all time. Why? I got to play them on emulation and my ol' Game Boy Advance. Your love for a system is not characterized by whether you won the console debated on the playground. It's how much fun and memories you got out of the games.

Games, damn it. Games!

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that, appreciating a console war, and a console, is entirely different things.
Sure both can be a factor for each other but still not quite on the same page.

I would say that the games and stuff determines what your favorite console is.

And your favorite console determines where you stand in the console wars.

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, emulation is not a viable way to experience what once was, only a way to relive what once was. These emulators authors only created the programs to relive the games of their past. I am even younger than most of these developers so I don't have a lot of room to speak on the subject (compared to the ages of the developers).

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
I'm twenty and I don't give a shit about console wars. Playing games>>>>>>>>legitamising why you bought a console

Agreed. I was born in 1985, and I had consoles from any company that had games I wanted to play. My friends and I are the same way - who gives a shit that the industry leaders are trying to foster some kind of ultra-intense rift between consoles? Also, why the fuck does age have anything to do with anything? If my 12 year old stepbrother came up to me today and said, "I love the SNES," what kind of deranged freak would I be if I said, "SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T YOU JUST CAN'T APPRECIATE IT PROPERLY!"

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Anne Noise said:
who gives a shit that the industry leaders are trying to foster some kind of ultra-intense rift between consoles?
It's not the industry that's creating the rift (apart from the usual competition), it's the fact most people can't afford to have all consoles, so they opt for one and trashtalk the other. Basically, it's one huge overcompensating rationalization circle-jerk versus another.

Of course this was at its peak with the Sega-Nintendo rivalry because nearly all games were console exclusives. Nowadays, most games are released on all platforms so the lines are getting pretty blurry.

To the people saying "you don't have to have been born then to enjoy games from the period", yes, that's true, but take a look at any upcoming game thread, the anticipation, the discussions, the speculation, (the horrible noob flood once it's dumped), the first impressions, the never-before.seen graphics/gameplay mechanics, the spoilers, the whole package? That's a "you had to have been there" experience, and while you can still appreciate the games decades later, there's something that you miss out on regardless.

That being said, what the OP is saying is bull
rolleyes.gif
The "kids these days" are fortunate enough to know nothing about the Sega/SNES discussions, because it allows them to enjoy all the games equally without the annoying retarded fanboyish squabbles over "herp derp the only console I can afford is bettur than the only console you could afford because [insert reasons pulled out of ass]." When I was a kid, we used to swap and borrow games and consoles so that everyone could play every game available, because all the consoles were rare and expensive, and the only thing that mattered were the games. I was vaguely aware of some forced "console war" that was raging in the commercials on TV, but even then, missing out on the fun because you had a "preferred console" and pretended to hate the other one to hide the fact your parents wouldn't buy it for you, was just plain stupid.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I was born in 1996 and my first handheld was the Gameboy. No color, no advance, just the gameboy. My first console was the PSX. I only got a PS2 in like 2005 onwards. Up till now, one of my fave consoles is the PSX, age doesn't matter since I had a crapload of fun playing Soulblade, FF7 and Chrono Cross on the PSX and I don't care how old it is. I also got an old SNES in like, 2001 and me and my cousin would trade around our games too. The SNES was one of my fave consoles too.

Your whole post was a friggin stereotype about kids below 18. I'm 13 and I know a plenty amount of everything and even then, who cares about the console wars or the "latest thing 10 years ago so you wouldn't know about it", it's the experience that matters. I don't care if a person was born in 2002, it depends on how much he really appreciates the games. Your post was friggin annoying and stereotypical.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dookieman said:
I have a question about how old/young/year born, one would need to be to appreciate a gaming console. Many users claim their favorite gaming console is x, yet they were born during the consoles production or they were born after the console was discontinued/next generation of consoles.
If someone is born outside of a console's production life, surely that means that they have more of a chance of enjoying it, as they have access to all the console's games, for a lower price?

ex: Myself, being born in 1986, one year after the NES was released in the USA. Could I have been old enough to appreciate the NES during its run before the SNES? Probably not since I would have been only five once the SNES was released in 1991. I feel my first real/played/owned console was the SNES. The champion of the universe Street Fighter 2 matches I had with my friends, Zelda: A link to the Past, and Final Fight are all games that I played during their prime, everything else after was unknown and my subscription to GamePro was the only link I had to the gaming industry.

For some reason it erks me when someone that was born in, lets say 1994, says their favorite console is the Super Nintendo. These kids don't know anything the heated Sega vs. Nintendo arguments on playground with their 3rd grade buddies or they didn't experience Super Mario World when it was the newest Mario game out and Super Mario 64 was only in the "Coming Soon" section of magazines. So how can this be their favorite console when they were born towards the end of the consoles lifespan?
With me, if I said that the snes was my favourite console ever, which I don't, it would be because I would've played on itas well as other consoles. As it stands, my favourite console era is...'92. This being because I love those two machines, although I can't say which one I prefer, as they both kicked ass, and still do in many ways.

Now, I know someone who is younger can still appreciate something for what it was, but most of these people are still kids, and anyone under the age of 18 doesn't know SHIT about anything. Period. (My next post may be at what age someone realizes that their parents were right about everything and they didn't know shit about anything after all)

My overall question is, how soon do you think someone can claim a favorite gaming console (or anything for that matter) and not seem like WTF you were too young. For me it's as follows:

Year Born:
1982: NES/Master System
1988: SNES/Genesis
1992: N64/PSX
1998: PS2/DC/XBOX
????: PS3/Wii/360

Extra Credit (Opinion): What is the last year one is born that can appreciate the ORIGINAL console wars, Sega Vs. Nintendo?

This isn't a comparison of consoles wars, just age and consoles in general.
prfft~ '91 maybe? as less people were buying Sega consoles, instead buying Sony

Frog

Trophies
XP
Country
I was born in 1993 and although I grew up playing the n64 (first console i owned
biggrin.gif
) I'd be more inclined to say that the Snes is my favourite console.

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Anne Noise said:
who gives a shit that the industry leaders are trying to foster some kind of ultra-intense rift between consoles?
It's not the industry that's creating the rift (apart from the usual competition), it's the fact most people can't afford to have all consoles, so they opt for one and trashtalk the other. Basically, it's one huge overcompensating rationalization circle-jerk versus another.

Of course this was at its peak with the Sega-Nintendo rivalry because nearly all games were console exclusives. Nowadays, most games are released on all platforms so the lines are getting pretty blurry.

To the people saying "you don't have to have been born then to enjoy games from the period", yes, that's true, but take a look at any upcoming game thread, the anticipation, the discussions, the speculation, (the horrible noob flood once it's dumped), the first impressions, the never-before.seen graphics/gameplay mechanics, the spoilers, the whole package? That's a "you had to have been there" experience, and while you can still appreciate the games decades later, there's something that you miss out on regardless.

That being said, what the OP is saying is bull
rolleyes.gif
The "kids these days" are fortunate enough to know nothing about the Sega/SNES discussions, because it allows them to enjoy all the games equally without the annoying retarded fanboyish squabbles over "herp derp the only console I can afford is bettur than the only console you could afford because [insert reasons pulled out of ass]." When I was a kid, we used to swap and borrow games and consoles so that everyone could play every game available, because all the consoles were rare and expensive, and the only thing that mattered were the games. I was vaguely aware of some forced "console war" that was raging in the commercials on TV, but even then, missing out on the fun because you had a "preferred console" and pretended to hate the other one to hide the fact your parents wouldn't buy it for you, was just plain stupid.

Thanks. I traded and RENTED consoles during this time too. I'm sure the Sega vs. Nintendo war was stronger in some groups of friends than others. I'm merely writing for discussion and to say what's on my mind. It's only an opinion, not fact.

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
I was born in 1996 and my first handheld was the Gameboy. No color, no advance, just the gameboy. My first console was the PSX. I only got a PS2 in like 2005 onwards. Up till now, one of my fave consoles is the PSX, age doesn't matter since I had a crapload of fun playing Soulblade, FF7 and Chrono Cross on the PSX and I don't care how old it is. I also got an old SNES in like, 2001 and me and my cousin would trade around our games too. The SNES was one of my fave consoles too.

Your whole post was a friggin stereotype about kids below 18. I'm 13 and I know a plenty amount of everything and even then, who cares about the console wars or the "latest thing 10 years ago so you wouldn't know about it", it's the experience that matters. I don't care if a person was born in 2002, it depends on how much he really appreciates the games. Your post was friggin annoying and stereotypical.

No, believe me, you don't know shit about anything. I'm not just talking about video games but also life in general.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Dookieman said:
KingdomBlade said:

No, believe me, you don't know shit about anything. I'm not just talking about video games but also life in general.

Really? Who are you to judge how much I know? You can't just go around stereotyping how much a person knows about anything? You think I'm just an immature little kid? That is one of the most stereotypical things I have heard and it makes me extremely pissed.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Dookieman said:
You know how I know? You're 13. Also, you use stereotypical to often.

First, it's too often. I have a weird thing about correcting grammar and spelling and stuff. Second, you have no idea what the hell is going on in my life.

+
QUOTE(KingdomBlade @ Oct 23 2010, 10:16 AM)

=
mellow.gif

ri~ight...
anyways...
*equips flame shield*

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
shlong said:
QUOTE said:
Dookieman said:
You know how I know? You're 13. Also, you use stereotypical to often.

First, it's too often. I have a weird thing about correcting grammar and spelling and stuff. Second, you have no idea what the hell is going on in my life.

+
QUOTE(KingdomBlade @ Oct 23 2010, 10:16 AM)

=
mellow.gif

ri~ight...
anyways...
*equips flame shield*

Lol. I found that funny. Actually, it's fine when I make a grammatical mistake but I when it's someone else's, I have an compulsive need to correct it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap.