[Question] Analyzing the 3DS log files to find/fix weird crash error behaviour

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by EpicLPer, Feb 3, 2016.

1. EpicLPer
    OP

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Heya there!

So I've got a 3DS from a friend to (hopefully) fix.
    The issue it has: It either randomly crashes or when you trigger certain things in a game or even on the home menu/system settings. As example it crashes when you talk to the owl in "Animal Crossing - New Leaf" in the museum and then leave it. Another random crash occures randomly when you either let Animal Crossing on the start screen (where it says to press something) or when you enter the system settings and do something or even the home menu, browser, friends list, Mii app, and so on.
    Another reproducible crash point is when you try to play a Mii-Lobby game.

Here's an example video for the Animal Crossing crash: (Spoilered due to the elements height)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Anyways, I've now managed to dump and decrypt the NAND to get to 2 .log files which won't help me further honestly... There are 2 files, one is called "native.log" and one "updater.log", the updater one only holds stuff what stuff was written/deleted while I downgraded the 3DS (I guess?) earlier to dump the NAND. This worked perfectly fine even considering the unstable state of the 3DS.
    The next one, native, only consists of a short text passage which tells me exactly nothing and another line of unreadable characters.
    I've attached both of those log files as attachments here (if you know more about this than me).

Anyways, I hope you guys can help me a bit here. I really don't want my friend to have a broken 3DS to play with. Oh and if you need a bit of a back-story: That thing was once a demo-unit in a store. Not a "typical demo-unit" you might think of now, it's just a normal 3DS XL.

Attached Files:

2. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    > Bump <

3. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    Is this a CIA or a cartridge game?

4. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Actually doesn't matter since it crashes on many other occasions too. I tried the game on another 3DS and it works just fine.

But yes, it is a cartridge game.

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I'm gonna assume it's been downgraded, because it seems like an incomplete downgrade. If that's the case, you'll have to update it with sysUpdater then downgrade again.

6. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    Why doesn't it matter? Maybe its a problem with your cartridge.

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    He just said he tried the cartridge on a different system with no problems.

8. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    No, it happened before the downgrade. I simply downgraded the 3DS to be able to get the NAND and the logs, nothing more.

9. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Strange. Also, I see you mentioned it was a kiosk model. I wonder if those have a specific firmware installed for store display purposes. I suppose it wouldn't, but I also wonder if upgrading it would help any. Either that, or it got damaged whilst on display in a store, which happens a lot.

10. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    That's what is yet to be found out ;) Also no it's a completely normal 3DS, no special demo unit.
    I guess that something in the flash memory got corrupted, maybe a few too many blocks went bad? Not sure. Maybe it's even a RAM failure and when entering the museum, talking to the owl and exiting it again tries to write something to a specific RAM section.

There could be so many reasons but without finding something out first it's hard to investigate further :( Besides that, it'd be really sad to see that my friend paid nearly the same price as for a new one for a damaged system...

11. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Like I said, it might have also suffered from some damage since shithead kids come through and destroy demo models all the time. That's the worst case scenario, and like you said, without being able to attain extra information (why do we not have a RAM dumper yet?) it's gonna be difficult to make a proper diagnosis. I mean, you could try upgrading it with sysUpdater and see if that helps, but I'm not very confident that it would.

12. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    No, I don't think upgrading will help. I mean I could try but a downgrade basically writes all the important CIAs new anyways so either it should've failed there already when trying to downgrade (which it did not) or the system would've never worked anymore anyways.

Also yeah, I'm surprised no one has released a RAM test tool yet. A RAM dumper already exists I think tho.

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I'm fairly certain one exists for the hardware, but I meant a software tool. Though that may exist as well.

14. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    > Bump < anyone? :)

15. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    > bump <

Still nothing? Aaaaw :(

16. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    World -1
    I think ntr can dump RAM, as well as spider. Native.log and update.log are generated when the 3DS is prepared to be released at factory. Try setting up emunand, and update emunand. If it still crashes try using spider to dump FCRAM. If it crashes at a certain offset, that means it is RAM related.

17. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Is RAM dumping possible on 9.2 anyways?

18. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    why wouldn't it be?

19. EpicLPer
    OP

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Read a few things here that it only be possible on 4.2...
    Then again there's not much info about how to RAM-Dump really lol

20. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    it's possible with NTR CFW in emuNAND, up to the latest firmware NTR will boot on (there's also mods so it can be run on the latest firmware in emuNAND)