Question: Achievement Possible via Firmware Hack ala FlashMe?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by soliunasm, Jun 25, 2008.

1. soliunasm
    OP

Member soliunasm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just thinking about crap.
    Theoretically, would we be able to flash the firmware ala FlashMe to allow us to install applications to the DS? Because I would seriously like an achievement system for the DS.

2. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I don't think its possible. It would require a complete overhaul of the firmware, and then also programed into the games. And even if that did happen, there probably isn't enough enough system memory for all of it to fit on

3. soliunasm
    OP

Member soliunasm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, couldn't a homebrew appliance work in which it asks you to put a game in(Or flashcart, then it would allow you to select your game and start the achievement system from there) and then it connects to a server to figure out when to unlock achievement?

4. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, theoretically possible, but unless you re-programme the game, you'd have to have the achievement system running in the background all the time constantly re-checking for the right code to appear. This would take up too many resources, slowing down your game a load. Also, it would be too easy to cheat the system anyway.
    Sorry to knock your hopes, as I'd love an achievement system too, but it's just not feasible on the DS.

5. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Even if it could be pulled off for a SINGLE GAME, this would be a major achievement (pun not intended), but it's certainly impossible for the whole library.

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    It's not that it would take up too many resources. It's simply not possible. You cannot have two programs running at once on the DS[*], as it has no underlying operating system like the PSP does. Once the game loaded, the "achievement system" homebrew app would be cleared from RAM and would be inaccessible.

Also, the firmware is only 256 KB so you'd be hard-pressed to modify it that much without running out of space.

[*]Only exception would be something like DSLinux which supports 3 virtual terminals at once by default or MiniVMacDS which can multitask, but even then you're still only running the one *.nds program at once.