Question about wii u cdn and 5.5.3

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by krilatoprase, Sep 6, 2018.

1. krilatoprase
    OP

krilatoprase Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Croatia
    Hello, with the release of wii u update 5.5.3 did anyone try to datamine new update to see if they backported CDN security from switch like they did with 3ds, is it still possible to download games from cdn for wii u with usb helper (i know usb helper is discontinued but there is a way to make it work)

Also, do you think nintendo is gonna backport security from switch and 3ds to wii u too soon?

2. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    The CDN changes that stopped freeshop,etc working were done server side not in the firmware.

3. krilatoprase
    OP

krilatoprase Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Croatia
    Yes, but they had to update firmware of 3ds in order to support new way of handling tickets and cdn downloads with server side security in place so if they want to do same on wii u then they also need to add support ofr it in new firmware

4. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    The 3DS firmware change was only when downloading. It detected a fake download if sleep mode downloading was used. It wouldn't make a difference on the Wii U since it isn't used for the download.

5. krilatoprase
    OP

krilatoprase Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Croatia
    Well, i hope they dont patch wii u too :)

EDIT: i mean i hope they dont patch wii u server

6. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    I don't think they care enough about the Wii U to bother now. That said it could be worth downloading them and keeping a backup just in case. A number of people here did the same with 3DS before it got locked down.

7. krilatoprase
    OP

krilatoprase Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Croatia
    yeah, i think i will archive games that i really care about
    And question regarding archibving

WHen i use usb helper it gives me option to extract the game or keep it in original format with .app files, so if i decide to keep them in original format (not extracted) can i extract them somehow later even if nintendo closes cdn downloads?

8. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    I think the best way to do it is in Wii U USB Helper use the copy to SD option. Then instead of putting it in the Wii U and installing it, just keep the folder it creates and put it on your backup drive. Then all you have to do if you need it in the future is copy it to the SD card and install with WUP installer. If you select the can't see my card option when doing to copy to SD it shows all the PC's HDD's. So you can just have it copy them directly to the drive you want to keep them on. Rather than to an SD then having to copy them elsewhere.

Last edited by spectral, Sep 6, 2018
    krilatoprase likes this.
  9. krilatoprase
    OP

krilatoprase Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Croatia

Time to buy some more hard drives :)