Question about video burning

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Mei-o, Jul 31, 2008.

Jul 31, 2008

Question about video burning by Mei-o at 11:44 AM (772 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Mei-o
    OP

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kidâ„¢

Japan
    Sooo, I've burned quite a few vids before and I'm having some problems when watching on my DVD player, on two occasions, only the first video worked perfectly, the other ones were all laggy and skipped a lot but the audio was fine, anything I can do to fix this? In some of the DVDs I burned, all the episodes were working perfectly.

Oh and I use Nero and I burn at either 8x or 16x depending on the DVD max writing speed, if that has to do with anything.

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It's better to use a slower write speed for better quality and less skipping. I suspect that the 8x ones are the ones that work better than the 16x ones.

Also, in my experience, never burn more than one DVD in a row. Your burner needs to cool down, especially if it's an integrated one.
    I once burned two DVDs with the same anime (though not the exact same episodes), the second one turned out a lot worse than the first even though I used the exact same type of discs.

3. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Why do people always say that?? It doesn't matter how fast you burn a disc... the data still goes on the same way...

If you could burn at 100x, it would be the same as burning at 1x...

As for the problem, what are you encodeing the videos as? What were the original video filetypes?

You said your burning with Nero, which suggests that your just tossing a whole bunch of videos into Nero Vision, and letting them encode then burn. I really hope that's not the case.

4. Mei-o
    OP

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kidâ„¢

Japan
    I've always thought the same thing...the files are all .avi btw.

I've only used Nero Startsmart Essentials for burning, I also had "Increase compatibility of MPEG-4 video files('DIVX') with MPEG-4 compliant DVD players." checked which says it replaces FourCC codes in .avi files.

5. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Too many variables.

Exact model of dvd burner.
    Exact version of software.
    Exact brand of blank media.
    Exact actual manufacturer of blank media, because brand is not always enough.
    Exact speed of burn.
    Exact amount of burns in a row.
    Exact current temperature in the room.

Exact type of source content being burned too.

After burning enough stuff for a few years you realize, if the burn sucked, you throw out the bad disk and do it again.
    Why cry over a bad burn on a 20 cent disc?

6. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    CPU intensive tasks running at the same time? Videos on second disk from same set/ have the same bitrate/encoding?