Hacking Question About Upgrading to 6.20 Pro-B9

LeomelsonBato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok i want to upgrade my PSP but i have less knowledge about Upgrading im not even the one who hack it... the only thing i know is i should update my 5.50 Gen-D3 to 6.20 OFW then upgrade to 6.20 Pro-B9 is that right??

edit: no need to redirect me to another thread i already found one in the tutorial section.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ok i want to upgrade my PSP but i have less knowledge about Upgrading im not even the one who hack it... the only thing i know is i should update my 5.50 Gen-D3 to 6.20 OFW then upgrade to 6.20 Pro-B9 is that right??

edit: no need to redirect me to another thread i already found one in the tutorial section.
Depends on what your PSP is. If you have a fully-hackable PSP (100x or early 200x) you can freely install 6.60 OFW and then 6.60 PRO B10fix1 LCFW, if it's not, install the 6.20 OFW and proceed to installing LCFW normally (Go, E-Street, 300x or a very late 200x).

LeomelsonBato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
is 6.60 really much better than 6.20?? because my Friend said if i were you im gonna update it to 6.20 Pro-B8...he said that 6.20 is better... what should i really choose???

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
is 6.60 really much better than 6.20?? because my Friend said if i were you im gonna update it to 6.20 Pro-B8...he said that 6.20 is better... what should i really choose???
Depends on what you want to use. From a compatibility stand-point they're both the same, but 6.60 also has the Quriocity service in it while 6.20 does not.

If it is possible to use 6.60 without having to resort to Fast Recovery use on your PSP, go for it. What's your model? I can help you through the process step by step.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You may as well go to 6.60 as you'll be using a direct boot into CFW rather than a cheat exploit boot. Since you're on 5.50 GEN you'll either have to edit your version.txt in flash0 (and since you need help upgrading you may not feel happy doing this) or do what Rydian's guide says and use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. Then once you've updated to 6.60 OFW and run the PRO Update for 6.60 you can use the cIPL flasher to make it permanent.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you have a PSP 1001 you should have no problems to use a full CFW, cIPL. I'd stick with 6.20 PRO permament, I see no big reason to jump to 6.60 for now.

Also, since you're using "one of those picky firmwares", i'd use hellcatflash recovery 1.65 to downgrade to 5.00m33, then update 6.20 OFW (original firmware), then apply the temporal PRO-B firmware, then CIPL patch (permanent).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
, then apply the temporal PRO-B firmware, then CIPL patch (permanent).

6.20 doesn't have a custom IPL, it uses an exploit that runs during boot. The cIPL is a preferable way to launch a CFW which is why Perm 6.60 makes sense for those consoles that can run it.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
, then apply the temporal PRO-B firmware, then CIPL patch (permanent).

6.20 doesn't have a custom IPL, it uses an exploit that runs during boot. The cIPL is a preferable way to launch a CFW which is why Perm 6.60 makes sense for those consoles that can run it.
I just realized that the model is mentioned in the thread's title. Silly me.

Yeah, 6.60 with custom cIPL is the optimal choice for a 100x PSP.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I didn't know that =P. Well 6.20 has a different CFW than the others (runs on hackable and non hackable psp motherboards). I used 6.39 CFW and I loved it back then (this one has a CIPL patch for sure).

OP, since you have a fully hackable motherboard, it's much better for you to install a CIPL in case of brick or something.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
OP, since you have a fully hackable motherboard, it's much better for you to install a CIPL in case of brick or something.
Reminds me of a fun anecdote - cIPL was actually the cause of one of my bricks. I was silly enough to uninstall the CFW before I returned the IPL to its original state and the PSP tried to boot a CFW that was no longer there. What a wonderful black screen... Good thing that it's easy to get/make a Pandora these days.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Reminds me of a fun anecdote - cIPL was actually the cause of one of my bricks. I was silly enough to uninstall the CFW before I returned the IPL to its original state and the PSP tried to boot a CFW that was no longer there. What a wonderful black screen... Good thing that it's easy to get/make a Pandora these days.

Sir, you made my day. hahaha hoooow did than happen..

isn't manually uninstalling a CIPL dangerous as ***? I'd prefer much over rewriting the whole CFW (ie, downgrade from 6.xx to 5.00 using hellcat) in one shot.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Sir, you made my day. hahaha hoooow did than happen..

isn't manually uninstalling a CIPL dangerous as ***? I'd prefer much over rewriting the whole CFW (ie, downgrade from 6.xx to 5.00 using hellcat) in one shot.
*Actually* you have to disable custom IPL *before* you choose to return to clean OFW mode, otherwise you will end up with a brick that may or may not turn on OFW if you use the failsafe button (holding Select or Home, depending on the model and the CFW used). By "Uninstalling cIPL" I meant returning it to normal values via the cIPL Flasher application bundled with PRO. I was simply careless and forgot that I was even using a custom IPL. :D

I was simply fiddling around with the internal files of the web browser in 6.60 to integrate Netfront 4 Beta in the firmware, but when I have, I could no longer use the Go!Tube updater since Netfront 4 Beta is not compatible with the Internet Radio - I needed to re-install the OFW so in preparation for that I disabled CFW. You know the rest. ;)

It was easily fixable since I have a fully hackable moment, but still, many f*cks were screamed out that day. My heart... stopped for a moment lol.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
*Actually* you have to disable custom IPL *before* you choose to return to clean OFW mode, otherwise you will end up with a brick that may or may not turn on OFW if you use the failsafe button (holding Select or Home, depending on the model and the CFW used). By "Uninstalling cIPL" I meant returning it to normal values via the cIPL Flasher application bundled with PRO. I was simply careless and forgot that I was even using a custom IPL. :D

I was simply fiddling around with the internal files of the web browser in 6.60 to integrate Netfront 4 Beta in the firmware, but when I have, I could no longer use the Go!Tube updater since Netfront 4 Beta is not compatible with the Internet Radio - I needed to re-install the OFW so in preparation for that I disabled CFW. You know the rest. ;)

It was easily fixable since I have a fully hackable moment, but still, many f*cks were screamed out that day. My heart... stopped for a moment lol.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, you have to uninstall the CIPL first before you actually turn back to OFW. But I never had a brick of those..

Well, it would be nice to say, don't mess with CIPL to much hahaha or we'll tell uncle foxi4 bricking by CIPL can cause stomach cancer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, it would be nice to say, don't mess with CIPL to much hahaha or we'll tell uncle foxi4 bricking by CIPL can cause stomach cancer.
At the very least it made me buy a Pandora which is quite a fun tool that I should've bought in the first place. Now I can experiment all I want with no fear. :D

LeomelsonBato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok i succesfully upgrade to 6.20 Pro-B10 by following Rydians tutorial...but now my save is now all Corrupted... do you have an easy way to restore my Save??

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Magic Save is probably a simpler and quicker method to fix many of those saves.

At the very least it made me buy a Pandora which is quite a fun tool that I should've bought in the first place. Now I can experiment all I want with no fear. :D

It's funny, i have an almost pathologic aversion to modifying any of the internal memory on my PSP for ANYTHING at all. That means i've always done the minimum possible upgrades, never changed anything in flash (bar version.txt and deleting a theme) and live in constant (ridiculously stupid) fear that my PSP will suddenly develop a plethora of bad blocks if i started. It's perplexing because i've got all these gameboots i've collected, and time spent fiddling about with parameters in the opening_plugin.rco, and yet i know i'll probably never use them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Magic Save is probably a simpler and quicker method to fix many of those saves.

It's funny, i have an almost pathologic aversion to modifying any of the internal memory on my PSP for ANYTHING at all. That means i've always done the minimum possible upgrades, never changed anything in flash (bar version.txt and deleting a theme) and live in constant (ridiculously stupid) fear that my PSP will suddenly develop a plethora of bad blocks if i started. It's perplexing because i've got all these gameboots i've collected, and time spent fiddling about with parameters in the opening_plugin.rco, and yet i know i'll probably never use them.
That is really quite irrational, you are already reading and writing from and to the internal flash each time you update your OFW and CFW, once you have a backup of the firmware for convenience sake and flashing software and hardware, there really isn't anything you could screw up. Flash memory will eventually fail anyways, but that's years upon years ahead of you and since the PSP does not use eFuse technology like the XBox 360, experimenting is not only safe but also encouraged - it's a learning experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1