Hacking Question about updating

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a question that bothered me for quite some time.
If someone happened to accidently hit the A button when promped a update, and you quickly hold the Power button, will your system then be bricked? I mean it like this:
> 3DS Starts
>Update Prompt
>Hits yes
>Quickly holds the power button before the update begins
Thank's in advance for the answer!
P.S: This has not happened to me, i'm just puzzeled over this question for a very long time :unsure:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i doubt they would really be rushing back to find out a year later.....try limit your necro'ing to say 2 weeks at worst....even then its not really good

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
simple answer it would depend on what exactly was happening at the point you reset

A. best case is you mange to shut down before ANYTHING has been wrote to the FW

B. most likely case is you will end up with a partially updated console i.e still shows as 4.x in system settings but has infact updated the parts of the firmware that block gateway from working....you may of seen threads where people have bought a 3ds that shows as 4.x in the settings but has the miiverse icon on the homecreen from 7.x, in these situations the gateway exploit will of already been patched and the console is effectively having an identity crisis...its 7.x but thinks that its 4.x

C. worst possible outcome is that it gets shut down in the middle of a important file being re-written and bricks the 3ds( i dont know of any cases of this happening but it seems like something that might happen unless nintendo have safeguards to prevent something like that happening)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs