Hacking Question question about updating only atmosphere to the latest version

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i am currently using atmosphere that was designed for 11.0.1 and was wondering if its safe to update atmosphere to the latest version
does the latest version of atmos change its behavior even on firmware 11.0.1?
what are the change that would occur when updating only atmosphere

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
It is safe to update to the latest version of Atmosphere even though you don't update the Switch firmware. Atmosphere is backwards compatible. However if you do that you also need to update your sigpatches to support the new Atmosphere version.
You probably won't notice any difference after updating. There might be some things that are fixed in the newer versions however. I am on HOS 11.0.1 and still on Atmosphere 0.18.1. I will probably not update Atmosphere before I update HOS as I don't really see the benefit.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am currently using atmosphere that was designed for 11.0.1 and was wondering if its safe to update atmosphere to the latest version
does the latest version of atmos change its behavior even on firmware 11.0.1?
what are the change that would occur when updating only atmosphere
While Atmosphere works on the latest firmware version, certain homebrew applications that have not been updated do not. Currently no games require that firmware so there is not much incentive to update.

crimsonwolf8439

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
While Atmosphere works on the latest firmware version, certain homebrew applications that have not been updated do not. Currently no games require that firmware so there is not much incentive to update.

I'm fairly new to all this so please forgive the lack of understanding. When you say certain homebrew applications haven't been updated to match the latest firmware version, do you mean anything critical or is it more like just niche apps (eg emulators)?

Also (and I know this is bad but) when I try to run games like Apex or other online games I'm told that I need to update to latest firmware. When you say no games require the latest firmware are you referring to offline games/safe to run games only?

Last edited by crimsonwolf8439,

Weird123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm fairly new to all this so please forgive the lack of understanding. When you say certain homebrew applications haven't been updated to match the latest firmware version, do you mean anything critical or is it more like just niche apps (eg emulators)?

Also (and I know this is bad but) when I try to run games like Apex or other online games I'm told that I need to update to latest firmware. When you say no games require the latest firmware are you referring to offline games/safe to run games only?

1. Nothing critical (i think)
2. I hope you use "online game" in OFW, when he says "no games require the lastest fw" i think what he means is the game you install from tinfoil.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well no homebrew application would be considered "critical" since they all serve niche purposes anyways but some people would rather hold off on updating so they can continue to use their favorite homebrew apps. And firmware requirements are different than online play because online play inherently requires being on the latest firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Interesting lol