Question About Updating Games

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Lakerfanalways, Mar 22, 2009.

Mar 22, 2009
  1. Lakerfanalways
    OP

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hi everyone. I got my XBOX 360 flashed today, took the guy literally 5 seconds to do it and it works great. I burned Street Fighter IV and it came out great..when I put in the game it asked me to update it which I did..but my question is, with other games, is it Ok to press Update or should I always press no..the guy that flashed my XBOX said it was Ok to press update but then I was reading here how someone said that when they tried updating the game HAWX that it bricked his XBOX so I dont want that happening to me(I don't plan on getting HAWX anyway just worried about other games) also..I used the abgx program for Resident Evil 5, everything passed except verification, says that failed and I tried level 3, still same thing, can I still burn the game or is that not a good idea. thanks so much

2. Burt0

Member Burt0 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yes, it's ok to update.

Do you have the latest version of abgx360? Should be v1.0.0

What release of RE5 did you download? I got the region free KFC release and it's fine.

3. Lakerfanalways
    OP

United States
    Yeah..The KFC one..and yeah I have abgx 1.0.0..and even when I put it on Level 3 it still said verification failed, but it still showed region free and stealth passed..so with these games, its Ok to update? Cause I was reading how someone updated HAWX and it bricked his XBOX so I dont want that to happen to me..I didnt even know that when you put in these burned games it asks to update til I put in the game and it said so so I was kinda surprised to see it

4. Burt0

Australia
    Well I burnt my copy of RE5 and it's working fine. I did the update.

It's not only the burnt games that ask for updates its retail games as well, so don't worry about that.

I don't know why that release of RE5 hasn't been verified yet but it doesn't really matter (it's already confirmed to be retail).

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about HAWX, I've never heard of anyone bricking their xbox from a game update. Do you have a link to that thread?

5. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Bricking the console via update? Pretty much lies

6. Lakerfanalways
    OP

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=141975

It was that thread..the one a few rows below the thread I made..that is what made me concerned..so with the XBOX..its Ok to update games that I put in..great..just wondering cause I know for the Wii its different and then I read that thread and it made me worried..thanks so much

7. Lakerfanalways
    OP

United States
    Sweet..thanks so much. I got Resident Evil 5 working PERFECTLY..Now I Just got one more issue..I have Afro Samurai for NTSC/USA or so it says..when I test it using abgx360..everything is fine, but I notice under Region it says this: 0x0000FDFF and then underneath it says:
    NTSC/J(excludes China)
    NTSC/U..and that is in green
    Does this mean its a USA game, just want to be sure..The other games that I have don't say anything about NTSC/J so that is what caught my eye.
    thanks so much!

8. Burt0

Australia
    You're welcome

It means the game is playable on a japanese and usa console.

So yeah, it'll work on your xbox.

9. Lakerfanalways
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much..I really appreciate you responding to my questions. The more I get used to this, the easier it will be. So basically this game was made for an NTSC/USA system but it can be played on a japanese console..And it is safe to update the game too? Thanks :-)

10. Burt0

Australia
    If the game is made for your region then it is certainly safe to do the update.

Basically anything that will boot is safe.