OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Hi,
My friend got a chipped Wii and we dont know which chip it is and he wants to play SMG, i think he's Wii's firmware is on 2.2 or something (I dont know exactly, I think its before 3 but he plays Super Paper Mario).

Maybe telling you the games he can already play help, The latest games he plays are Super Paper Mario, Resident Evil for Wii, Brain Age or Brain Academy (its one of them), WarioWare, MoH: Vanguard, Zalda, Kororinpa, theses are the ones I remember.

And he doesnt have Metroid and didnt play it with his Wii.

So I know exactly nothing about this blocking problem that occurs to some Wii's, so please explain crystal clear.

His Wii is NTSC and its in English so I think you call it NTSC/UC or something.

What are the concerns and how we can update his Wii (if we need) in order to play SMG? and which SMG versions work on his Wii, does PAL ones work or it has to be NTSC/UC ?

Thanks in advance.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Impossible, too many people make these threads. If you're desperate try the Wiikey and OpenWii update disks, but the only way to tell is to open it.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Impossible, too many people make these threads. If you're desperate try the Wiikey and OpenWii update disks, but the only way to tell is to open it.

Agreed, these threads are being made way too much nowadays especially with the search function right above. I believe I've posted answers in these things about 5 or 6 times already this month.

The best route to take would be to update to the latest firmware on the Wii and attempt using the Wiikey Config Disc or to open the system and look at the chip to see if it's a Wiikey, Wiikey Clone, etc.

~Fitzy~

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
OK... ... ... How did you buy a flashcart?
nyanya.gif

Seriously for 1 USD I'd even send you one. I can't believe you can't...

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
shit, cant download 1.3gb too.

Since I buy most of popular games here, Is there a way to use latest games to update the Wii? (if that is the problem)

So what is the problem that people are scared to just play it? Will SMG brick the Wii if it is updates by SMG?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ummm...this is getting completely off-topic now. Most likely my fault
frown.gif

Anywho, the issue is that SMG contains copy protection that unless the Wiikey or w/e you have there is updated, will cause the game to not function at all. There's really no way to update your Wiikey using any commercial games.

~Fitzy~

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
shit, cant download 1.3gb too.

Wiikey Config Disc 1.3 (13mb)
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1105

Thanks, Is there another Config disc to check too?

That's the most current. So try booting that one first after the Wii is updated to the latest firmware and if it works then try using the 1.9g update and see if you can get some SMG goodness.

~Fitzy~

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
So I have to first update Wii directly from internet? THEN use the Wiikey/or other config discs? whats this 1.9g ? what about SMG's own update that people are scared about?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
The point I was trying to make was if you buy a real SMG you'll have no problems at all. Unless the game is out of region. So at least say if you could buy a US SMG.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So I have to first update Wii directly from internet? THEN use the Wiikey/or other config discs? whats this 1.9g ? what about SMG's own update that people are scared about?

Correct, when I did my update I made sure my Wii was fully update and then ran the config disc to be set up disc speed etc. The 1.9g beta update allows Wiikey users to play SMG. And to answer your last question, as long as the games region (NTSC, J, PAL) matches the Wii you are using, you have no fear of any updates. The only issue is that unless the 1.9g update is applied, the game will not work whether you update or not.

~Fitzy~

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Would people please be more specific? I have NO info about Wii hacking , ok?

@arctic_flame: So whats with people bricking their Wii with SMG? Are they using PAL SMG on NTSC Wii?

Correct, when I did my update I made sure my Wii was fully update and then ran the config disc to be set up disc speed etc. The 1.9g beta update allows Wiikey users to play SMG. And to answer your last question, as long as the games region (NTSC, J, PAL) matches the Wii you are using, you have no fear of any updates. The only issue is that unless the 1.9g update is applied, the game will not work whether you update or not.

~Fitzy~

1 Can you tell me how much size that update is? I want to know whether its possible to update it with Dial Up or not.
2 whats 1.9g update? the Wiikey Config Disc 1.3 is at 1.3 and I remember people talking about version 3 of Wii's update.
3 If I get a NTSC SMG and use its update, Does it still brick Wii?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Would people please be more specific? I have NO info about Wii hacking , ok?

@arctic_flame: So whats with people bricking their Wii with SMG? Are they using PAL SMG on NTSC Wii?

I believe I have been pretty specific and I did answer your question above.

"And to answer your last question, as long as the games region (NTSC, J, PAL) matches the Wii you are using, you have no fear of any updates."

So yes, if you update your Wii using a PAL version of SMG on a NTSC Wii without using Brickblocker then you will possibly do damage to your Wii.

To answer your questions above:
1. Are you referring to the actual Nintendo firmware update or the 1.9g update from the Wiikey team? If you are talking about the Nintendo Wii update, then all you do is go into the Wii settings and select update Wii Firmware. If referring to the 1.9g update then it isn't very big at all. Just download it and burn it to a DVD as normal and put it into your Wii. Run the update using a GC controller and just follow the instructions from there.
2. The 1.9g update is a firmware update from the Wiikey team that allows users to bypass the SMG copy protection. Once it's installed, just run the SMG update as normal and you should be good to go. The config disc allows you to tweak the settings of the Wiikey and the Wii DVD drive. The latest official update for the Wii is the 3.1 version which you may have heard people referring to. Don't confuse it with the Wiikey 3.1 config disc.
3. As long as you've updated the Wiikey with the 1.9g update, you can update with the SMG backup as normal. If you decide to just go buy a copy then don't worry about it. Update and play.
~Fitzy~

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended