Question about uninstalling IOS60

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by BlackEnigma, Aug 4, 2009.

Aug 4, 2009
  1. BlackEnigma
    OP

Member BlackEnigma GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not that I did it or anything...
    [​IMG]
    My Wii is perfectly fine

Err anyway, I was wondering, if someone has bootmii as boot2 and they uninstall IOS60, would they still be able to access the homebrew channel from the bootmii menu?
    I'm pretty sure that if you tried to access the hbc then either you would be able to or it would be a black screen.

If you could access the hbc could you go to wad manager and install a wad of IOS60?

I haven't really seen this discussed much. I guess because if you have bootmii as boot2 then most likely you also made a backup of your nand. It kind of goes hand in hand.

How about if you installed bootmii as boot2 but don't have the homebrew channel and then you deleted IOS60. I don't think that bootmii's loader can launch the hackmii installer. Would there be anyway to get the HBC on there?

Again I haven't done any of this stuff. My Wii is perfectly fine and I have backups from multiple times in multiple locations. I can go back a few months if I want to.
    Anyway, I was just curious.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yes. BootMii is the ultimate brick preventer; it can hijack the boot chain before the System Menu's IOS is loaded. When the HBC is loaded, it will act like normal (as long as its IOS is available), so you can still run WAD Manager or something.

I don't understand why one would install BootMii, but not the HBC. (They're the same installer, for heaven's sake.) If I recall correctly, BootMii can read run an ELF file on your SD card.

Just remember: never touch a System Menu IOS unless you know what the hell you're doing. (It's pointed at every newbie Wii hacker.)

3. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It might depend on the version of Homebrew, doesn't it currently load off IOS38, so it still should load if it doesn't need IOS60.

If you have a nand dump you're gonna be fine, but its possible if it uses it for startup it could be bad. The Wii system Menu for sure wouldnt work.

However, I am pretty sure Homebrew requires IOS60 or 61 because of people not having it work when they don't have them installed.

4. BlackEnigma
    OP

United States
    Interesting, thanks for the replies.

So it looks like you agree that it depends on what IOS the HBC and Wadmanager run from and if those IOSes are fine then theoretically it doesn't matter if IOS60 is there or not. Though someone wouldn't want to find out for sure unless they had to.

Was it 38 that HBC ran off of at some point? Currently mine is 61.

As for bootmii and loading elfs. I think it needs a special kind of elf because I have tried it before and it didn't work for me.

Also the read me of the hackmii installer says this at the end

We have included a simple launcher for PPC ELF files on the SD card. Please note that any
    binary that gets loaded will be running under mini, not under IOS. libogc binaries will
    not run; we are investigating options for a future release.

5. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ok cool yeah IOS60 is safe then. I knew people who upgraded to the new Homebrew on an old WIi system menu without patching stuff in had issues, but I wasn't sure if it was because of 60 or 61.

Bootmii can be fine with no IOS's or system menu, completely fine. However, when you load Homebrew, it loads an IOS so if you don't have the proper IOS for Homebrew or the System Menu, your in trouble.

6. BlackEnigma
    OP

United States
    I too certainly do remember people having issues with being on a lower firmware and thus not having the later IOSes and so the HBC had to run of off a lower IOS like 51 or something (on 3.4 for example).

I wonder how much foresight was involved in determining which IOS to allow certain things to run off of. I guess that's a story for another day.

Anyway, yeah, the proper IOS thing does make sense. Deleting IOS60 doesn't completely destroy the console, I guess you could say that it deletes a door to somewhere you need to go. So your treasure might still be in the building but there's no door to get in. Bootmii recreates the building with a door but bootmii has to be installed in the building before you delete your door... umm may I should just stop now...

Thanks again [​IMG]