Gaming Question about the Sega Genesis Gold collection:

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After seeing so many complaints about the Sega Genesis games on Steam (crappy GUI, shoddy audio emulation, not to mention the real classics like Sonic are missing), I looked at the collection they sold on Amazon http://tinyurl.com/72t7um7 and noticed it was only 6 dollars. The reviews seem to be trustworthy, but should I get it anyway and hope the YM2612 emulation isn't crap like the Sega Smash Pack that was released back in 1999? There aren't too many reviews about this game, that's what worries me. Advice? Feedback? I'm posting this thread again since people overlooked the last one I made.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the Mega Drive/Genesis collections by Sega seem to have inaccurate audio (and video) emulation, they seem to lazy to actually improve it and just use the same poor emulator in each collection they push out,. The other collections are nowhere near as bad as the audio in the Segasmash pack that was on the dreamcast though.

Do yourself a favour and download the Kega Fusion emulator, it will emulate the MD/GEN 100% accurately and also, the 32x, Mega CD, Master System and Game Gear.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted-236924

Worst case scenario: You pirate it so that you can try it out before buying.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the steam ones have inaccurate audio (especially Shining Force series), but Kega Fusion definitely has the most accurate YM2612 emulation. Perhaps I would "accidentally" have to try it before I buy, I just don't want my ISP (Comcast...*sigh*) finding out and throttling the download/upload speed. Heck, I thought you guys discouraged piracy. If I do this, is there a way to not get caught?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never even heard of the Gold collection. How many collections are out that have the same games?

This one has over 40 games, some of them never released in a collection, but I'm going to find a way to try before I buy, since I don't want to suffer from hearing crappy YM2612 emulation. If it's good, then I'll do it.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know the steam ones have inaccurate audio (especially Shining Force series), but Kega Fusion definitely has the most accurate YM2612 emulation. Perhaps I would "accidentally" have to try it before I buy, I just don't want my ISP (Comcast...*sigh*) finding out and throttling the download/upload speed. Heck, I thought you guys discouraged piracy. If I do this, is there a way to not get caught?
GBAtemp doesn't discourage piracy. If we did, there wouldn't be scene releases on the front page.
It's just that GBAtemp doesn't want to get sued, so we're not allowed posting anything illegal (I don't think the mods mind if we PM links though).

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I found a way to get it, and for the most part, the YM2612 emulation is pretty good. While not as good as Fusion, it's pretty dang close. For example, the Sonic spin dash and jump sounds are spot on, unlike the collection released for the PS3/Xbox 360. The music is good, too, but, I still need to try it some more.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Erm....PM's of illegal stuff is not technically allowed.
Well, of course, but PMs are private. Somebody sent me a link to a torrent website before, and they haven't gotten in trouble for it.
...but I probably shouldn't be talking about this in a public part of the forum :ninja:

Coconuts 500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Your ISP cannot catch you downloading emulators (legal) and ROMs (pretty much legal) and they won't throttle you. They only do this for high bandwidth torrenting and you can only get caught downloading high profile stuff like the latest movies, etc.

Nobody has ever been punished in any way for downloading retro ROMs, and nobody ever (and I mean ever) will.

Don't worry, be happy, and live like a proud pirate like the rest of us.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your ISP cannot catch you downloading emulators (legal) and ROMs (pretty much legal) and they won't throttle you. They only do this for high bandwidth torrenting and you can only get caught downloading high profile stuff like the latest movies, etc.

Nobody has ever been punished in any way for downloading retro ROMs, and nobody ever (and I mean ever) will.

Don't worry, be happy, and live like a proud pirate like the rest of us.
Downloading Roms isn't legal, retro or otherwise.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you dump your own ROMs with a flashcart or similar device for personal use, then it's legal. Personally, I have no issues downloading (SNES, NES, N64, pretty much anything prior to 1999) games that are not on the VC, PSN or otherwise (since the only ones who are making money are second-hand shops, eBay, etc. None of the original developers make money off the older games). Does it make it less illegal? No, of course it doesn't. But, I have my reasons for doing so. With this collection, I might as well pay the six bucks for it on Amazon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: He is now fishy.