Question about the old and new Dualshock 4 revision

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by newmaneri, Oct 26, 2014.

1. newmaneri
    OP

newmaneri Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Very sorry for starting another thread about the Dualshock 4, but I have another question that google doesn't help me with. Very specific questions.

I bought a new Dualshock 4 controller, and the FCC ID on the back is AK8CUHZCT1. I heard that the new revision is AK8CUHZCT1F1 where the thumbsticks are improved. Someone said in the new revision, the thumbstick rubber has less grip and a more textured finished, and it's combined into 1 piece with the actual thumbstick. How would I go about checking if it's more like one piece? Now I couldn't completely tell since I never used a Dualshock 4 controller before, so I'll try to compare the sticks with the Dualshock 3, and when I look at the Dualshock 4 I just bought which seems to be the older version, the thumbstick doesn't feel very grippy, with a more textured finish. Feels kind of like some plastic/rubber hybrid.

I bought this controller yesterday, and the new revision has been out for some months now. Was I just unlucky and got the old version, or did Sony somehow do some trick and made the older version the same? Is buying a controller more like playing the lottery, and hoping you get lucky?

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    You may have got swindled. Just take it back and get it exchanged.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Google tells me that AK8CUHZCT1 is a genuine PS4 controller.

4. newmaneri
    OP

newmaneri Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    United States

There were 2 versions. The launch controller was AK8CUHZCT1 and I think the newer AK8CUHZCT1F1 was released in august. Both are genuine.

5. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    Mine broke just after 2 months!!!an
    R2 analog trigger, plastic showing under analog thumbstick.
    Goddamn sony, how did such a EXCELLENT ERGONOMIC controller, got build so bad?

Also a bit sour that the "power"of my PS4 is not something special at all comparing to any budget pc gaming rig for the same money...

GTA 5 was nice as long as it lasted, no way I am going ps plus again, for me money down the drain...

6. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    Dualshock 4's both analog and d-pad are miles better than Dualshock 3. I can't say the same for the build quality though. I hate squeaky triggers.