Question about the necessity of RedNAND and Mocha CFW

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by mrolive, Jan 26, 2017.

1. mrolive
    OP

mrolive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    If all I want to do is use the Brazilian method to install games to my USB drive, is installing rednand and Mocha CFW absolutely nessecary? I was planning on going up to step 3 here:https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUT...ling-HaxchiFW-&-The-Homebrew-Launcher-Channel

- and then doing the brazilian install method right after. Is that safe? I'm asking because I don't want to have to spend money on a 64 GB sd card (I have a 32 GB Wii U)

2. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    You don't need redNAND or Mocha for titles that you're installing with legitimate tickets. If you're installing Haxchi, Haxchi's sysmenu option provides sufficient patching for out-of-region games and fake tickets, so even then, you don't need Mocha.

3. mrolive
    OP

mrolive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    Alright thanks. Another question though: If my Wii U updates to a later firmware after I have installed Haxchi w/o RedNAND or Mocha CFW, do I end up with a brick? Flimflam's guide doesn't say anything about this.

4. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    It's CBHC that has the high brick potential with system updates. If an update were to cause a brick with Haxchi, it would be because Nintendo actively and purposely caused it to happen. There's no reason that the system should care about some code that's buried in the content of one app. Even if the flaws that allow haxchi to work are fixed, the app might crash the console, but it shouldn't brick it.

5. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Using Haxchi your system remains untouched so it's no different to using the browser to launch the exploit.