Question About The Doom series

• Thread starter Deleted-379826
  • Start date
  • Views 897
  • Replies 6
D

Deleted-379826

OP
I just had a question for you guys, so I'm playing through DOOM on the ps4 and I'm aware there are some other DOOM games. Now I just had a question so Is this version of DOOM an overall remake? Or just one of the first. Should I still play any games or do I skip to DOOM 2. I wanna continue with the series just asking what I should go to next and maybe even some of your opinions. Thanks :P and let us discuss!

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a question for you guys, so I'm playing through DOOM on the ps4 and I'm aware there are some other DOOM games. Now I just had a question so Is this version of DOOM an overall remake? Or just one of the first. Should I still play any games or do I skip to DOOM 2. I wanna continue with the series just asking what I should go to next and maybe even some of your opinions. Thanks :P and let us discuss!

It's a reboot. Other than what are arguably some loose references/easter eggs to the original game, it has nothing to do with it.

Doom 2 directly follows the original Doom.

Final Doom consists of two ,what would have been fan campaigns, but was bought by id before release and released commercially. Both are setup as alternative sequels to Doom 2.

Doom 3 is a reboot/prequel (seems to depend who you ask, sometimes it's stated as a prequel, other times a reboot). Resurrection Of Evil is an expansion for Doom 3 and directly follows it.

Doom 3 BFG is a rerelease of Doom 3 + the expansions with some tweaked gameplay (opinions differ on if it's better or worse) and graphical tweaks/updates.

Doom (2016) is a reboot.

Other than Resurrection Of Evil, that you should play only after Doom 3, you can pretty much just play in any order you like. The original games are not heavy on story, most of it was in the manual rather than in game and it's practically the same across all the games anyway (UAC dicks around with hell, demons fuck shit up, you fuck the demons up).

Last edited by Armadillo,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, as mentioned DOOM doesn't necessarily have a big important to follow story, you can play them in whichever order you want.

If you really want to play the old ones, I strongly suggest grabbing the Brutal Doom mod. It pretty much revamps everything in Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom, from simply more gore to better AI and gun mechanics. IMO it's easily the best way to play the classic Doom games now. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Brutal_Doom < has more details about it.

D

Deleted-379826

OP
Yeah, as mentioned DOOM doesn't necessarily have a big important to follow story, you can play them in whichever order you want.

If you really want to play the old ones, I strongly suggest grabbing the Brutal Doom mod. It pretty much revamps everything in Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom, from simply more gore to better AI and gun mechanics. IMO it's easily the best way to play the classic Doom games now. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Brutal_Doom < has more details about it.
It's a reboot. Other than what are arguably some loose references/easter eggs to the original game, it has nothing to do with it.

Doom 2 directly follows the original Doom.

Final Doom consists of two ,what would have been fan campaigns, but was bought by id before release and released commercially. Both are setup as alternative sequels to Doom 2.

Doom 3 is a reboot/prequel (seems to depend who you ask, sometimes it's stated as a prequel, other times a reboot). Resurrection Of Evil is an expansion for Doom 3 and directly follows it.

Doom 3 BFG is a rerelease of Doom 3 + the expansions with some tweaked gameplay (opinions differ on if it's better or worse) and graphical tweaks/updates.

Doom (2016) is a reboot.

Other than Resurrection Of Evil, that you should play only after Doom 3, you can pretty much just play in any order you like. The original games are not heavy on story, most of it was in the manual rather than in game and it's practically the same across all the games anyway (UAC dicks around with hell, demons fuck shit up, you fuck the demons up).

So from what I here above, there is the version of DOOM I'm playing which is just a DOOM styled overall game correct? And also does that mod also affect Ressurection of Evil and the remake for DOOM 3? Thanks guys, and I'm looking forward to playing them :P

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the new DOOM is a reboot of the series, it's not directly connected to the previous games.

And no, Brutal Doom only modifies Doom 1, The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom because it's a mod for the original Doom engine. Doom 3 and it's expansions use a different engine, so this would have nothing to do with them.

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

OP
Yes, the new DOOM is a reboot of the series, it's not directly connected to the previous games.

And no, Brutal Doom only modifies Doom 1, The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom because it's a mod for the original Doom engine. Doom 3 and it's expansions use a different engine, so this would have nothing to do with them.
Ah alright, doesn't seem like it's hard to run anyways, Thanks!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I had to grinn about this. Wondering in which order to play doom is like asking which part of a pizza is best to start with. :P

Okay, I haven't played 3 or that newer one...but doom, final doom, ultimate doom, doom 2 and so on are just levels in which you shoot enemies. If it wasn't for a slightly similar theme or a progressing difficulty curve, you could even shuffle the levels within a campaign without anyone noticing.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there