Question about switching external hard drives between two PS4s on GoldHen

Jayinem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one PS4 on 7.55 one on 6.72 each with an external hdd. Due to space limitations I was hoping I could switch the two external hard drives. Would I be able to plug my external hard drive from 7.55 and it will work on 6.72 and vice versa if I run GoldHen first? I would just try it but I don't want to lose the fpkgs by trying it.

thanks

Jayinem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off. Update to 9. Literally ZERO reason to stay on those FWs

Thanks for your opinion, has nothing to do with this thread. And you said first off and didn't add anything else, so what's second off? I have a reason, I don't want to mess with usb and most games I want I already have on my gaming PC the few I wanted on 9.0 that I can't get on PC are already backported, so I would gain nothing by going to 9.0, other than some stability on going from 7.55 to 9.0 but I just use rest mode anyway.

If your external hdd is 'Extended Storage', yes.
If it is 'app2usb', no.

Yes they're both formatted to PS4. So no problems going from 7.55 to 6.72? I thought there was some restriction where you can't use externals on lower firmwares. Is it GoldHen that overrides this?

Last edited by Jayinem,

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they're both formatted to PS4. So no problems going from 7.55 to 6.72? I thought there was some restriction where you can't use externals on lower firmwares. Is it GoldHen that overrides this?
If the usb drive is formatted as 'Extended Storage' you are ok just as long as you run goldhen 'before' you plug the USB drive in on each PS4.

I recently tested an Extended Storage drive formatted on my 9.00 PS4 and the games on it still worked on my 5.05 PS4.

Just remember to run golden before you plug in the drive and you will be fine.

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dam that just made me think about something similar. So I have my original 1TB that’s on 6.72 and I now have my 2TB updated to 9.00. So what will happen if I ever try to install my old 1TB that’s on 6.72? Will it just ask me to update or give me the option to update it to 9.00 and not lose anything?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dam that just made me think about something similar. So I have my original 1TB that’s on 6.72 and I now have my 2TB updated to 9.00. So what will happen if I ever try to install my old 1TB that’s on 6.72? Will it just ask me to update or give me the option to update it to 9.00 and not lose anything?
internal or external? if it's external, it should work. if it's internal, it will force you to format.

Reactions: laz305 and Leeful

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
internal or external? if it's external, it should work. if it's internal, it will force you to format.
Internal. O dam that sux monkey balls. Well just too shoot myself in the head. Was there any way to avoid that? So swapping internals is fine as long as they are on the same FW but once you update one the other will have to be formatted?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, they wouldn't be fine, because the internal hdd is encrypted per console. normally, with an external hdd, you can use the same one from a ps4 on even a ps5, but you have to sign in to redownload the licenses, just don't have to redownload the games themselves. I'm not really sure how it works on the ps4, but uploaders were buying and downloading games on the latest firmware, then dumping them on lower firmware to release that stuff. that's why sony implemented a patch to prevent lower firmware from using higher firmware. it's just hen patches it out. if you have legit games, you can use them on the ps5 even, without redownloading the games, but I think you have to be signed in for all licenses to be downloaded. it mentions this in the ps5 faq on the playstation website iirc.

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your opinion, has nothing to do with this thread. And you said first off and didn't add anything else, so what's second off? I have a reason, I don't want to mess with usb and most games I want I already have on my gaming PC the few I wanted on 9.0 that I can't get on PC are already backported, so I would gain nothing by going to 9.0, other than some stability on going from 7.55 to 9.0 but I just use rest mode anyway.

"some stability" lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.