Question about softmodding a brand new Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dan21, Dec 24, 2009.

Dec 24, 2009
  1. Dan21
    OP

Newcomer Dan21 Newbie

United States
    I am getting my younger brother/sister a Wii this Christmas and as part of the gift I want to mod it.

My experience moding so far: The only other system I have ever softmodded was a PS2(Fat-type version before 75001) using a memory card buffer overflow exploit caused by certain ps1 disks and modded title.db files. Learning how was a pain in the ass as no1 wanted to ever tell you anything. But long story short I put the pieces of many google searches together and viola. I also have an xbox 360 but with no plans to ever mod it.

So as for the Wii....

1. When I open this Wii out of it's shiny cardboard box, will it come pre-loaded with 4.2?

2. If it IS with 4.2 can I still mod it? Getting games and such will be no issue for me and they will all be the correct region

3. If it is NOT 4.2 but instead some other version should I upgrade it to 4.1?

4. Are there multiple mods out there by different authors, if so which one(s) would you recommend if not all of them.

Any and all is help is welcome [​IMG]

2. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
  3. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
  4. GwiLo

Newcomer GwiLo Newbie

Canada
    I made the mistake of letting a friend by a new wii and letting me mod it. Some of the new chipsets dont work (not sure the name) fully with the mod so I was not able to install Neogamma (dvd loader).

He ended up returning his new wii and buying a used wii for 50$ less. This one I was able to mod easily (I have modded 10+ machines). So my suggestion is to buy a used machine for modding.

Hope this helps.