Hacking Question about Slowhax, Flashcards and 11.0

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I currently own a new 3ds xl on firmware 11.0.0-33E. I know that I cannot downgrade it to a lower firmware right now, unless I use a hardmod or a rather complicated method that requires 3ds.

I read about Slowhax, but to be honest I do not know what it is or what it does. All I know is that it is supposed to be released before Christmas (27th to be precise). Is this confirmed? Does that mean that as a 11.0, I will be able to downgrade and install a CFW with ease once Slowhax is released?

Until the release of Slowhax, may I use any of the flashcards out there? I have a friend who has both R4 and sky3ds+. Would using these flashcards prevent me from downgrading once the Slowhax is released?

And finally and most importantly: Is there an automatic update system? Do I need to turn anything off once I boot my 3ds for the first time? Or are the connection settings are off from the very beginning?

I would be glad if you could answer these questions.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by grifterb,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A) I believe that is the day of the conference where slowhax will probably be announced, not released.
B) i'm not sure about the flashcards.
C) If the system is new, keep the Wi-Fi off and do not set up Wi-Fi at all. If not, the system will download the update when the system is in sleep mode. There is no auto update feature for the 3DS. Anyone who says otherwise is lying through their teeth.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowhax is an ARM11 Kernel exploit. On 11.0+, this is not sufficient to downgrade on its own. Here is what you'd need to use Slowhax to downgrade.

1. A 3DS on 11.0 or 11.1, as the exploit it uses was patched on 11.2.
2. A Homebrew entry point, such as OoT3Dhax. You need access to homebrew first.
3. A compatible DSiWare game for DSiWarehax. ARM11 Kernel isn't enough to downgrade on its own, but it can be used to install an exploited DSiWare save. DSiWare has access to NAND reading/writing, which can be used to downgrade the NFIRM to a version that doesn't have the 11.0+ downgrade checks.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowhax is an ARM11 Kernel exploit. On 11.0+, this is not sufficient to downgrade on its own. Here is what you'd need to use Slowhax to downgrade.

1. A 3DS on 11.0 or 11.1, as the exploit it uses was patched on 11.2.
2. A Homebrew entry point, such as OoT3Dhax. You need access to homebrew first.
3. A compatible DSiWare game for DSiWarehax. ARM11 Kernel isn't enough to downgrade on its own, but it can be used to install an exploited DSiWare save. DSiWare has access to NAND reading/writing, which can be used to downgrade the NFIRM to a version that doesn't have the 11.0+ downgrade checks.
To add to this, at the time of writing, Legends of Exidia is the only DSiwarehax game left on the eShop (in the US at least), not sure about other countries.

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Was that a typo?
Because if you are on 10.x you can downgrade.

Yes, sorry, that was a typo. I fixed it to 11.0.0-33E.

I also do not understand how slowhax will work. What I am trying to find out is, should I wait for a new exploit, or should I purchase a flashcard? A hardmod or the other method that requires you to buy a game from the eshop and use another 3ds are out of the question for me at the moment.

Most importantly, woul using said cards (r4 or sky3ds+) prevent me from utilizing the exploit when it is released?

Last edited by grifterb,

Rain_1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
This is probably not the place to ask this question, but I've been reading on homebrew, slowhax and dsiware hacks for a while and there's one thing I don't understand.

I understand that you need access to the homebrew launcher to run homebrew apps (like slowhax) - this will be most likely forever covered by OOT3D (in my case)
I understand that we need to apply a tampered save file into a DSIWare game (much like a tampered Save File is used with OOT3D to boot into the homebrew menu) so we can downgrade the firmware on any 3DS.

What I don't understand is how slowhax, being a Arm11 exploit, allows us to inject a save into a DSIWare game, but the Homebrew Channel (or any other app) doesn't. Is it the same theory behind how we can't apply a OOT3DHax save on firmware 11.x.x?

Are saves read/write (either on a physical cart or on the 3DS itself) covered by Arm9 and that's why Arm11 exploits (like the homebrew channel) can't access it?

Last edited by Rain_1,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What I don't understand is how slowhax, being a Arm11 exploit, allows us to inject a save into a DSIWare game, but the Homebrew Channel (or any other app) doesn't. Is it the same theory behind how we can't apply a OOT3DHax save on firmware 11.x.x?

Are saves read/write (either on a physical cart or on the 3DS itself) covered by Arm9 and that's why Arm11 exploits (like the homebrew channel) can't access it?
if I remember correct is that NBL is just ARM9. So they aren't running on the same levels. Dsiware games (some of them) have a bug in them letting them launch ARM11 access and since DSi games doesn't have a protection (read more from smealum) they can write where ever they like on the 3DS.

This is the reason why OOT3DSHax won't work since it's being blocked for writing the NFIRM downgrade, while the DSi games doesn't have that protection.

Rain_1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
From what I understand:

1. OOT3DHax is a ARM11 Userland hack (which is why you can run the homebrew launcher, which is just a software launcher that runs in ARM11 Userland)
  2. Slowhax is/will be a homebrew application (which is why you need the homebrew launcher in the first place) that, from ARM11 Userland will run an exploit that will give access to ARM11 Kernel.
  3. DSiWareHax is a homebrew application that requires ARM11 Kernel access to install a tampered with save into a DSiWare Game.
  4. That DSiWare Game has a flaw that has access to the entire NAND on the 3DS, which allows for firmware downgrade.
  5. We then downgrade to a Firmware that has an ARM9 Exploit, which allows us to install firmware exploits (most likely arm9loaderhax + Luma3DS)

So, to answer my original question, we can't inject DSiWare Savegames out of the OOT3DHax because OOT3DHax is an ARM11 Userland Exploit and we require an ARM11 Kernel exploit to do that.

Reactions: theedge

theedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From what I understand:

1. OOT3DHax is a ARM11 Userland hack (which is why you can run the homebrew launcher, which is just a software launcher that runs in ARM11 Userland)
  2. Slowhax is/will be a homebrew application (which is why you need the homebrew launcher in the first place) that, from ARM11 Userland will run an exploit that will give access to ARM11 Kernel.
  3. DSiWareHax is a homebrew application that requires ARM11 Kernel access to install a tampered with save into a DSiWare Game.
  4. That DSiWare Game has a flaw that has access to the entire NAND on the 3DS, which allows for firmware downgrade.
  5. We then downgrade to a Firmware that has an ARM9 Exploit, which allows us to install firmware exploits (most likely arm9loaderhax + Luma3DS)

So, to answer my original question, we can't inject DSiWare Savegames out of the OOT3DHax because OOT3DHax is an ARM11 Userland Exploit and we require an ARM11 Kernel exploit to do that.

That should be stickied, very good info!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: b