Question about shorting the SL1

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by mflo, Feb 10, 2007.

Feb 10, 2007
  1. mflo
    OP

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Lets say I use a slot-1 cart and I'm trying to flash my DS. I'm shorting the SL1 and I just happen to accidentally pull out my shorting tool. Can I place it back in and continue? Or will I have to get a slot-2 cart?

If I can resume after pulling out the tool, than the only way I'll have to get a slot-2 cart is if the NDSL happens to power off while I'm shorting right?

And I read something about blowing fuses, How exactly does that happen?

2. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    you can pull the tool out whenever you want, and the ds will only get bricked if its between 2 and.....5% i think

3. mflo
    OP

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ok, so once I get passed like 5% it'll be ok to pull out? And how do you blow a fuse?

4. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    to blow a fuse you have to touch the point next to the SL1 which looks kinda like a skrew.

also even if your DS is completly bricked, if you have another DS nearby you can use that to recover quite easily.

BTW you almost have to have the DS plugged into the charger, i've not had 1 successful flash without it being plugged but think others did flash without it being plugged in. (usually the DS would turn off while flashing if not plugged in)

to recover, open both DS up, unplug wifi cord (black cable hooking up to firmware chip) then pull the firmware out, then boot other ds (working) have the flashme loaded then dont proceed to flashing, unplug firmware while its on, then replace with broken firmware chip and continue to flash it.

Edit--

only do flash swap if the A+B+Start+Select recovery does not work.
    works either way but flash swapping is more work then pressing few buttons