question about scart to vga on genesis

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by sprong, Jan 18, 2017.

1. sprong
    OP

sprong Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    so ive been searching around for solutions to improve the video quality of my genesis, i am aware of all the cheap and not so cheap options. the thing is almost every method requires a video upscaler that requires it own external power supply, which is rather annoying. i have my genesis modified to s-video which is better than composite and i thought that was going to be my best "no external power" option. however...... then i found these very cheap scart to vga adapters on ebay.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valueline-2...317375?hash=item23669b6cff:g:ckcAAOSw8RJXBhwh)

then i got really curious and found a powerless vga to hdmi adapter, i wont bother posting the link for that one because now im probably getting laughed at by several of you, but they do exist. so anyway if i got a female to female scart adapter and linked the scart out of the genesis through the cable in the link i posted would that work!?! my guess is that the signal would be incompatible with the tv or something but i would like to know if anybody has thought of this or even tried it.

2. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Doesn't that require that your already outputting RGB? I have no idea about the genesis video signal, but I doubt it does that. Scart won't pass s-video to VGA i don't think.

3. sprong
    OP

sprong Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    genesis does output rgb scart natively, i thought everybody knew that.

4. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    I was never a sega fan, so it's not something I've ever thought about.

You'd have to make sure that the other scart cable and adapter have all of the pins connected though.
    But still, can't say for sure, it's always worth a try though.

5. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    It likely won't work.

RGB over scart is 15Khz, over VGA it's typically 31Khz.
    VGA also has seperate sync signal (hsync and vsync), while RGB over scart typically takes the sync signal from composite.

There are some tv/monitors that accept 15Khz vga, & apparently some that are also fine with csync tied to both hsync/vsync, but you would still a sync stripper to grab a clean sync from the composite line.

6. ym2612

ym2612 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2017
    Australia
    RGB with csync (sync without composite video signal) gives best results with scalers/linedoublers for modern tv (and are even mandatory for some professional CRT like Sony PVM/BVM). RGB with composite sync (sync over composite video signal) gives on some modern tv so called "jailbars" and bad colors but should be ok on old/cheap consumer CRT/15khz monitor.

the only "no external power" solution for mega drive with modern tv i can think of right now would be the Component-cable from HDRetrovision. but that cable is currently not available to buy and your tv has to accept 240p at the component input. most modern tv will be confused with a true 240p signal and wrongly display it in 480i.