question about releases

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by TaMs, Sep 25, 2007.

Sep 25, 2007

question about releases by TaMs at 7:34 PM (821 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. TaMs
    OP

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    So i'd like to ask couple of quesitons about "scene" releases.
    First, every release has it's own number
    for example:
    Release Number 0261
    Full Name Ninjabread Man
    Those numbers are mostly decided by when it's released? So who decide the numbers anyway? If there's like 4 games released on same day, how do they decide what's number 0234 or 0235? :A Or have someone/some group decided numbers for all releases before they'll be released?

Another thing is about groups. There's many many group releasing games in europe for example. How come there's never 2 releases of the same game? Is another group so much faster that other groups notice it and won't even try to get those games? Or have they made random "contracts" who'll get to dump the game and stuff?

Thanks for even reading this "noobish" topic. [​IMG]

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I dont know any answer, but just to say, these are some good questions, that I too would like to see answered.

3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I already seen games dumped twice by two different groups.
    But only one of them is included in Dats, as they have the same CRC they can't share the same name.

Number is not from the scene.
    look the filenames, they do not contain number.
    They are added after the scene released them, added by websites and all websites don't have the same numbering system.
    For example it's diffucult to find a Dat with the numbering from GBATemp (I proposed a feature to Costello to generate RCroms dats, but it's not online yet. Someday Maybe, if he has time ^^).
    A good dat is pocketheaven's one, but the number is not the same as gbaTemp.

4. TaMs
    OP

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    thanks that really helped. and it explains many weird things [​IMG]

5. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Release numbering is often based on their "pre" times. It's rare that 2 games from the same system are pre'd simultaneously.

6. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    It's also pretty much impossible for two groups to pre at the same time.. if they go up the same minute, the closest second wins. If they went the same second I'd assume mili seconds would be taken into account though I've never heard of that happening lol.

[qoute=TaMs] Another thing is about groups. There's many many group releasing games in europe for example. How come there's never 2 releases of the same game? Is another group so much faster that other groups notice it and won't even try to get those games? Or have they made random "contracts" who'll get to dump the game and stuff?[/quote]

If a group releases something that's already out, the release is nuked. The reason you don't often see race/dupe nukes is theres no point in sites listing them as only the hardcore of collecters will bother to get the same release twice just to get a different nfo.
    Bad dump, over/under dump and various other nukes will be listed as the info is needed in order for someone to produce a proper. or fixed dump.