Hacking Question About PSRAM/NOR

Symbiotic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this has been touched upon a few times, but I'm having trouble finding definitive information. Just to note, I'm completely new to this particular thing.

I plan to buy an EZ Flash 3-in-1 and flash a ROM to it, then move the innards of the EZ Flash 3-in-1 to a normal GBA cartridge and use it as a single game long-term. After patching the ROM, however, the file size is 17.1mb. I understand that up to 16mb can be stored in SRAM and anything between that and 32mb is to be used with NOR.

So, assuming I use NOR, will my progress save to the battery when I use the normal save function within the game itself? Does it more or less function exactly like a legitimate Gameboy Advance game?

Also, does my slot 1 card have to support GBA Exploader to do this? Or can I buy a cheap TT card?

Thanks!

Edit: Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica

Symbiotic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Appreciate the response.

In any case, I've stumbled upon a problem after receiving my 3-in-1 and purchasing a cheap used GBA game from eBay. The 3-in-1 innards will not fit inside of the GBA case, even after removing the long plastic bar that is the obvious obstruction. The chips on the back of the board and the battery on the front make the 3-in-1 too thick to fit in a normal GBA cartridge (with the pins in the proper place), yet, I've read countless posts where people claim that they successfully swapped the 3-in-1 innards with that of a normal GBA cartridge.

It seems that the back of this particular GBA game's case was not made to support any chips on the back of the board and I'm afraid trying to hollow it out a bit more will result in supreme failure. Does anyone know of any cheap games that have chips on both sides of the board that would likely fit the 3-in-1?

I'd also like to know: is it possible to purchase the EZ Flash IV, flash a game, and then remove the SD card slot entirely from the board with no issues? Would it function just like a normal GBA cartridge if flashed to NOR?

Thanks again!

P.S. I was shipped EZ5C3 (3in1+).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Point a weapon at me and I might be able to get something done as far as autobooting an EZ4 NOR, I even did something like it many years ago as a test. In practice it is not really going to happen.

Fitting a 3 in 1 innards in a GBA case. Most of the time it will involve a blade and some sanding.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
If your planning to put it in a GBA/SP/micro without replacing the shell with a GBA shell from a throwaway GBA game, you have to shave off the overhanging plastic and using string strong enough to survive lots of stress like dental floss.

IMG_170148c.jpg

Inserting it into a GBA/SP/micro will end up looking like this. This is why you need a pull string.

IMG_170149c.jpg

Your other option is to use an action replay if you have one.

IMG_150336b.jpg

IMG_150335b.jpg

It doesn't take much either way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.