Question about Priiloader

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by GameGeek, Jun 2, 2010.

Jun 2, 2010

Question about Priiloader by GameGeek at 4:24 AM (778 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. GameGeek

Member GameGeek GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    I have a Wii with a mod chip installed and with the System Menu 3.3U. I never installed any homebrew in it, or wads of any short. I'm planning to update it to 4.1 (I heard there's no point in updating to 4.2 since no game requires it), then I will install Priiloader and the HBC (Or is it a better idea to install Priiloader BEFORE updating?).

My question is: What's the best way to update in this case? Yeah, I know that there are tutorials about how to update to the latest versions, but they often tell me to install cIOSes, and I heard that there might be issues if I install Priiloader in a Wii that has hacked IOSes. Wouldn't the cIOSes produce issues when I install Priiloader?

I thought about simply letting my Wii download an official update from Internet, but I'm guessing it would update directly to 4.2 rather than 4.1.

Or should I just update by using the games that contain updates? I heard that games can only install new IOSes, but not update the System Menu. Does that mean that if I use this method, I wouldn't get the SD Card Menu feature introduced in 4.0? Should I use this method, then download and updated System Menu wad and install it?
  2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Let's see...

4.2 has indeed no real added value over 4.1. It's pretty much only an anti-piracy update. And updating officially will update you directly to the latest firmware (so 4.2 at the moment of writing).

On the other hand, if you don't have any homebrew installed, I think it's best to do that. For a rather stupid reason: if you softmod a 4.1 and accidentally update it to 4.2 later, you'll have to resoftmod the whole thing. And it's not like softmodding a 4.2 is much harder than a 4.1 one (you just have to use a different version of bannerbomb and remove a few stubs before installing the cIOS over them).

But anyway...updating your wii will get rid of priiloader (dunno if that is with all updates), so installing it prior to updating isn't needed. But of course you can just reinstall it afterwards.

I've never heard of any priiloader issues if your wii has hacked IOS'es. And I read quite a lot about priiloader. But just to be safe...why would you need hacked IOS'es? Just having one with the trucha bug should be enough to get you going*. And to my knowledge, priiloader works fine with all cIOSes**.

Updating by games is a bit tricky. I honestly can't say what games contain what IOS, but they can cause some issues on non-virgin wii's. I'd strongly advise not to do that with random games. There are safe updaters out there...if you insist on using 4.1, I'd say to check those out.
    In fact, I'd also suggest to use priiloader to block disc updates, so you don't accidentally get in trouble when a disc decides it wants to update (and most games work well even with IOS'es they think are "outdated").

*if you want to use discs from the main disc channel, it's a different thing. but to my knowledge, darkcorp (a collection of updated "hacked IOS"es) has no issues with priiloader
    **note: the difference between IOS and cIOS is important here. roughly: IOS=retail ones; numbers below 200. cIOS=custom IOS; numbers above 200.
  3. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2010
    Down under
    I think you need to check if your chip is SM V4.x compatible or needs a firmware update to make it so, BEFORE you update the SM.

If it is/or can be made compatable, then just update via Nintendo to 4.2

Then hack away if you want to.

I dont beleive your system menu version is that important, its the official IOS's that you need, but then you need some homebrew to install those if you choose to not do a complete 4.2 update?