Question about playing online, .cia files, gateway, etc.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by wutdupuk, Apr 25, 2015.

1. wutdupuk
    OP

wutdupuk Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2015
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Hi, this is my first post for gbatemp. I have a few questions about going online. I have read most of the information but im still a bit confused on how online works.

If i want to play online while using gateway, how do i exactly do it? Through emunand? As far as i have read, emunand cannot be updated to the latest firmware.

And i plan to play online using .cia files. Do i need emunand for that? Or just BigBlueMenu?

sorry for the confusion, im still planning on buying a 3ds with gateway. Thanks

2. tipsytoto

tipsytoto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    United States
    So, in emunand, while you currently can't update your firmware to the latest, you can still update the games to the latest version using a combination of bigbluemenu and .cia update files found on a variety of websites online. Therefore, you can still play those games online since they are updated. This is the alternative to updating the game via the eshop which you obviously won't have access to without the latest version. That being said, there is a thread outlining how to spoof access to the eshop with less than the latest firmware.

3. wutdupuk
    OP

wutdupuk Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2015
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Alright, thanks for the info! I thought you needed the latest firmware when going online. Thanks!