Hacking question about otp.bin

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recently installed A9LH on my N3DS and everything is working fine. i made a backup of my otp.bin to my laptop so i deleted the one located on my 3DS. long sotry short, my laptop became unusable until today when i had to delete all my data on it to reinstall the operating system.. so is there any way i could obtian the OTP.bin? i don't mind downgrading back to 2.1.0 and trying to run the A9LH installer to see if it will hopefully give me the OTP.bin again. but if there is a faster and more convenient way of doing it i would appreciate it if someone let me know

rlvbrussel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i recently installed A9LH on my N3DS and everything is working fine. i made a backup of my otp.bin to my laptop so i deleted the one located on my 3DS. long sotry short, my laptop became unusable until today when i had to delete all my data on it to reinstall the operating system.. so is there any way i could obtian the OTP.bin? i don't mind downgrading back to 2.1.0 and trying to run the A9LH installer to see if it will hopefully give me the OTP.bin again. but if there is a faster and more convenient way of doing it i would appreciate it if someone let me know
Nop... only if you downgrade.

ShikaSan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I think you will still need to downgrade, and follow the guide on 3ds.guide again to obtain a back-up of your otp.bin, as it is unique to each and every 3DS.

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you will still need to downgrade, and follow the guide on 3ds.guide again to obtain a back-up of your otp.bin, as it is unique to each and every 3DS.

downgrading is not a issue. but im assuming that the otp.bin file is generated when running the safea9lhinstaller through the website so running it while already having a9lh will not interfere with the process, right?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You do not need otp.bin, so don't worry about it. Just keep your NAND backups safe. There was one idiot once that insisted on trying to brick his console to reobtain it, it was quite hilarious with everyone trying to talk him out of it, but he couldn't be dissuaded! I won't name him, he probably wants to forget about it (hopefully now he understands it was a stupid idea).
Anyway long story short, don't be like that guy.

Reactions: HyperT

rlvbrussel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
sweet, so i can still run the safea9lhinstaller even if a9lh already installed? as long as i am able to get that file again i dont mind going through the trouble of downgrading again
Is you can run a9lh and you have backup nand then you can restore.
But if you get bricked hard you need aan hardmod with otp.bin and nand.bin. so it is better to downgrade and get the otp.bin.

I have done it just follow the guide.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
downgrading is not a issue. but im assuming that the otp.bin file is generated when running the safea9lhinstaller through the website so running it while already having a9lh will not interfere with the process, right?
You can't run Luma on 2.1 on N3DS. Only way is to uninstall a9lh and downgrade to 2.1 again (basically doing the a9lh installation over again).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is you can run a9lh and you have backup nand then you can restore.
But if you get bricked hard you need aan hardmod with otp.bin and nand.bin. so it is better to downgrade and get the otp.bin.

I have done it just follow the guide.
You do not need otp.bin to recover a brick, only either a NAND backup or the 9.2 CTR transfer files if you lose your backup.

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do not need otp.bin, so don't worry about it. Just keep your NAND backups safe. There was one idiot once that insisted on trying to brick his console to reobtain it, it was quite hilarious with everyone trying to talk him out of it, but he couldn't be dissuaded! I won't name him, he probably wants to forget about it (hopefully now he understands it was a stupid idea).
Anyway long story short, don't be like that guy.

You can't run Luma on 2.1 on N3DS. Only way is to uninstall a9lh and downgrade to 2.1 again (basically doing the a9lh installation over again).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You do not need otp.bin to recover a brick, only either a NAND backup or the 9.2 CTR transfer files if you lose your backup.

so its not important? why does the tutorial warn us to keep a backup?

and on the other message posted after it, how would one go about uninstalling a9lh from the device? i cant find a tutorial on the site that tells you how to install it

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
so its not important? why does the tutorial warn us to keep a backup?

and on the other message posted after it, how would one go about uninstalling a9lh from the device? i cant find a tutorial on the site that tells you how to install it
You can use your otp.bin to install a9lh on 9.2 (that's what you had to do in the first implementation of a9lh - downgrade to 2.1 to get otp.bin, compile your own arm9loaderhax.3dsx then update again and install using your 3dsx). I don't think it's super useful now though. Possibly it might be in the future (maybe with the bootrom dumps we will be able to sign NAND backups for other consoles?) but not super useful right now.

You can use SafeArm9Installer to uninstall a9lh. You won't find a tutorial because it's not something anyone would want to do.

Reactions: Joey23475

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use your otp.bin to install a9lh on 9.2 (that's what you had to do in the first implementation of a9lh - downgrade to 2.1 to get otp.bin, compile your own arm9loaderhax.3dsx then update again and install using your 3dsx). I don't think it's super useful now though. Possibly it might be in the future (maybe with the bootrom dumps we will be able to sign NAND backups for other consoles?) but not super useful right now.

You can use SafeArm9Installer to uninstall a9lh. You won't find a tutorial because it's not something anyone would want to do.

can SafeArm9Installer run on the latest firmware? getting a black screen when launching it from homebrew

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
can SafeArm9Installer run on the latest firmware? getting a black screen when launching it from homebrew
You can't run arm9 homebrew over 9.2 (without fasthax etc). Run it as a Luma payload, like all other arm9 homebrew (Decrypt9, Hourglass9, GodMode9 etc).

Edit: the Updating A9LH page of the guide might help you. Follow the steps except choose to uninstall not update.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't run arm9 homebrew over 9.2 (without fasthax etc). Run it as a Luma payload, like all other arm9 homebrew (Decrypt9, Hourglass9, GodMode9 etc).

Edit: the Updating A9LH page of the guide might help you. Follow the steps except choose to uninstall not update.

when choosing to uninstall i get "error: a FIRM equal or newer than 11.0 has been detected"
so im guessing i have to downgrade to uninstall it?

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
The only use for the otp.bin is to reinstall a9lh. If you get your system restored by Ninty for example - ypu can load up Sa9lhinstaller and install without downgrading.

So besides that, don't recall any other use

Reactions: Quantumcat

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only use for the otp.bin is to reinstall a9lh. If you get your system restored by Ninty for example - ypu can load up Sa9lhinstaller and install without downgrading.

So besides that, don't recall any other use

but it does not seem that A9LH can be reinstalled on the latest update, or am i wrong?

i was able to successfully restore to official firmware (without A9LH), downgrade to 2.1.0 and re-install A9LH along with receiving my otp.bin that i previously lost

Last edited by Joey23475,

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
but it does not seem that A9LH can be reinstalled on the latest update, or am i wrong?

i was able to successfully restore to official firmware (without A9LH), downgrade to 2.1.0 and re-install A9LH along with receiving my otp.bin that i previously lost
fasthax=>safehax=>a9lh installer --should work fine for reinstall--

For a9lh update you boot a9lh installer via holding a button for the payload

Joey23475

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fasthax=>safehax=>a9lh installer --should work fine for reinstall--

For a9lh update you boot a9lh installer via holding a button for the payload

ah, then i guess you just cant uninstall it. i was given a error that i was above the supported version to uninstall, did not test installing it though. thank you for the info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.