question about NGC games!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by jordan_ch, Jan 20, 2011.

Jan 20, 2011
  1. jordan_ch
    OP

Newcomer jordan_ch Advanced Member

China
    my english is poor,sorry。
    who can tell me,could i play NGC games with usb-loader and harddisk now?
    just like wii games use CFG and harddisk。

2. codiak

Newcomer codiak Advanced Member

United States
    In short: No

3. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Its now possible to play GC games via hard disk however the solution is through Swiss which has just been announced (although not released yet). Swiss has been developed for the gamecube and so its not quite as simple as updating your hard drive and sd card and away you go.

If you want to boot them from hard disk, you will need to purchase an ide-exi adapter which will plug into your wii/gc via the memory card port. Or you can boot the games via sd card (plugged into an sd gecko, the front sd slot on the wii will not work).

So its not quite as simple as everyone was hoping. But it does sound the best solution so far aside from just burning the games and launching them with cmios.

I think I'm gonna go with the sd gecko option myself as they're pretty simple to make and I can handle copying/pasting each game I want to play at a time, its not like I'm gonna be chopping and changing gamecube games as much as I do wii ones.

4. jordan_ch
    OP

China
    thanks a lot!!! yes, i have kown the method of sd gecko,but i would like to wait for the solution of UL.......hehe ,thanks again!!!!

5. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    What? UL?
    There won't ever be the usb loader with gamecube games you are hoping for. It is impossible, this is pretty much as good as it will ever get as due to technical limitations of the wii, it is impossible to do.
    Check out dios mios, this will show you, it was tried, and it went as far as it could, but eventually could go no further.

Sorry, but forget it, it won't ever happen.

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Eh?

I must admit I first thought it was a joke (I did one last year on that one special day of the year [​IMG] ). But then I found this link. So now I'm wondering...what the hell is "an ide-exi adapter"? (yes, I'm a total noob when it comes to gamecube hacking) Is it a cable with a gamecube memory card slot on one end and a good ol' IDE outlet on the other?

Aside from that...I noticed that those sd gecko's are pretty cheap (especially compared to the wode). My main concern is if SDHC is compatible and if it can be used to store GC savegames (thus far, the former seems dependant on the homebrew while the latter is impossible). A program like swiss sure raises that interest a bit...

7. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Yeah, Geckos are cheap as essentially, they aren't bugger all. The gamecube memory card is basically just an sd card with relocated pins, so all a gecko is, is an sd card holder soldered to a hacked apart memory card. And yeah you can load them this way.
    And I am pretty certain no, SDHC is not supported as its still a GC essentially so can't use any newer drivers like the wii
    For me I think I'm gonna go with this way cause a Gecko is so cheap and I can just store all my GC iso's on my hard drive for my wii games and just transfer the one I want to play to sd card when I need to.

The only problem is, the compatibility is the same as all other GC methods as far as I know, which unfortunately for me still means no Eternal Darkness [​IMG]
    I really should pick that game up retail.

Save games I would assume you just save to slot 1 as slot 2 will be in use for the gecko, but I could be wrong and it may possibly save to the sd card, as I said before, thats all essentially a GC memory card is, however I doubt they have a standard file system so it probably wouldn't work, but I could be completely wrong here.

8. jordan_ch
    OP

China
    [​IMG] [​IMG] ....oh,guys,it is so despairing for me to hear these......i really hope to play NGC wrth hd ,and can save games in sd or hd.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom

Err, that game works with Neogamma now.

10. Taleweaver

Belgium
    @Donkey Plonk: thanks for the reply. Seems kinda odd to go for an IDE output (I never even heard of a portable IDE hard disc), but if that's the way the cookie crumbles, then so be it.

I think Donkey Plonk refers to the fact that the streaming audio thing messes up the music in some games where it tries to access the DVD directly (and I remember hearing that eternal darkness is one of the games that relied on it the most).

Oh, and compatibility with neogamma only goes for (backup) DVD's. It doesn't mean it'll play on D-32 drives.

11. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Not SDHC compatible.

No, you can not store save games to it.

For those looking for a cheap SD Gecko, I am just gonna leave this here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3993

Ordered mine yesterday [​IMG]

12. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Oh sweet, its been about 3 years since I tried and last time was just standard gamecube backup back when I had a hardmod, d2pro and I checked that compatibility list yesterday and it said the same, gets stuck at the edgar allen poe bit. But if its changed that is some of the best news I have heard about the scene. Now that I can play Eternal Darkness. I feel like my wii is complete SWEET [​IMG]

13. jackdanielchan

Member jackdanielchan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Doesn't WODE do this...?

14. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Wode isn't cheap and is a bit of an overkill option for just gamecube games.
    An SD Gecko is like

15. Kemosabe-TBC

Newcomer Kemosabe-TBC Member

Portugal
    Micro SDHC works just fine. I bought an SD gecko a few weeks ago, it even came with an adapter, I've tested about about 20 games with a micro SDHC card and (almost) all ran fine. The only games that didn't run were Fire Emblem and Eternal Darkness, but that was to be expected... Still not a problem since I have the retail version of those games.

@Donkey Plonk, you can get a copy of Eternal Darkness for 10$ or so, and you've waited 3 years :|

16. siliconmessiah

Member siliconmessiah GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can you play GC-games on Wii without playing them from their original discs, if you have a 4.3?

17. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    You can use backup discs yes but see above for usb, its not possible via the traditional method

18. siliconmessiah

Member siliconmessiah GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Play GameCube games from backup discs? On a softmodded 4.3?
    How do you do then?

19. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    SD Gecko is just a contact adaptor, SDHC compatibility depends only on homebrew coding. SD-Boot 0.4/HBC 1.0.8 are compatible for example (and swiss will be too).

20. Taleweaver

Belgium
    1. install the latest MIOS cMIOS on your wii.
    EDIT: fixed typo
    2. install neogamma
    3. (if needed) create a compilation iso of up to 3 gamecube iso's with multiisocreator (or even more, if the games are reported to run fine when scrubbed)
    4. burn the resulting iso to a DVD (this is prone to some errors...some drives accept any disc you throw at them, others are picky about the brand...and the D-32 drive accepts not a single backup DVD whatsoever)
    5. insert the game in your wii and run it through neogamma.