Homebrew Question about New 3ds XL lower screen replacement?

kucarachi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have a broken New 3ds Xl lower screen, want to try to replace it myself already have the part but there is no good tutorial on it. Found one in Japanese but it is just a video with no guide or audio. Have no problem sending it in to Nintendo but i'm pretty sure they are going to find all the CFW stuff and not fix it. It says you have to have the sd card and CFW is on the system nand anyway. Has anyone here ever found a decent guide or done it themselves and can link to a tutorial. I've tried google and there are plenty of 3DS XL guides, but none for New 3DS XL...or are they the same inside?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have a broken New 3ds Xl lower screen, want to try to replace it myself already have the part but there is no good tutorial on it. Found one in Japanese but it is just a video with no guide or audio. Have no problem sending it in to Nintendo but i'm pretty sure they are going to find all the CFW stuff and not fix it. It says you have to have the sd card and CFW is on the system nand anyway. Has anyone here ever found a decent guide or done it themselves and can link to a tutorial. I've tried google and there are plenty of 3DS XL guides, but none for New 3DS XL...or are they the same inside?
I have no clue about a guide, but in my opinion, you should buy a 20 dollar flashcart, make a nand and sd backup, wipe both nands, uninstall cfw, send the 3ds into Nintendo, and reinstall cfw when everything is done.

Last edited by Giodude,

kucarachi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no clue about a guide, but in my opinion, you should buy a 20 dollar flashcart, make a nand and sd backup, wipe both nands, uninstall cfw, send the 3ds into Nintendo, and reinstall cfw when everything is done.

Not exactly sure how to backup the nand since the bottom screen is unreadable. There is about 1 to 2 inches you can see in the top left corner. So if i send it in to Nintendo they are going to see whats going on. If i try to fix it without a guide then chances are it's never going to work right again. Have fixed ipads with broken screens before but this New 3DS XL has no real guide on the bottom screen anywhere. At this point i would buy a new one, but still want to fix this one if anyone can confirm having success doing it and could give a link how.

KinGTD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've repaired quite a bit of New 3DS XLs and they are much different than the O3DS and O3DS XL. Follow the guide on iFixIt. One thing i cannot express enough, please take the ribbons from the main board out carefully and properly. Especially the three following:

1. Bottom Left
2. Middle bottom
2. Top Middle

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

Steps 1-11 - FOLLOW THESE
Steps 12-17 - NOT NECESSARY
Step 18 - FOLLOW THIS
Step 19 - not required but would recommend
Step 20 - Skip
Step 21-22 - Replace screen

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly sure how to backup the nand since the bottom screen is unreadable. There is about 1 to 2 inches you can see in the top left corner. So if i send it in to Nintendo they are going to see whats going on. If i try to fix it without a guide then chances are it's never going to work right again. Have fixed ipads with broken screens before but this New 3DS XL has no real guide on the bottom screen anywhere. At this point i would buy a new one, but still want to fix this one if anyone can confirm having success doing it and could give a link how.
When I get home later, I'll give you instructions on how to backup your nand with the most recent version of godmode9 with only button presses. I'd suggest waiting 1 and a half hours to guarantee it finishes. If you have another cfw'd 3ds or 2ds or if a friend had one, you can record the button presses that way.

Reactions: Quantumcat

kucarachi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I get home later, I'll give you instructions on how to backup your nand with the most recent version of godmode9 with only button presses. I'd suggest waiting 1 and a half hours to guarantee it finishes. If you have another cfw'd 3ds or 2ds or if a friend had one, you can record the button presses that way.

So you really need a nand backup or can you just go through the whole process again to get Homebrew back on your 3ds? I’m not going to be able to wipe out the cfw though since I can’t see the screen.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you really need a nand backup or can you just go through the whole process again to get Homebrew back on your 3ds? I’m not going to be able to wipe out the cfw though since I can’t see the screen.
I should be able to walk you through everything with just a series of button presses., it's just a series of button presses. I'm not sure what remnants stay of cfw, so after this I suggest wiping your nand and backing up your sd card. Also you would need the 20 dollar flashcart.

kucarachi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should be able to walk you through everything with just a series of button presses., it's just a series of button presses. I'm not sure what remnants stay of cfw, so after this I suggest wiping your nand and backing up your sd card. Also you would need the 20 dollar flashcart.

Well thanks for your help, but it’s 100 + to send it to Nintendo, I already paid 25 for a new lcd screen and a 20 dollar flash cart would bring it to about the same price as a new 2ds xl which is what my son wants anyway. I’ll just try to replace screen myself and if it dies I will just get a 2ds and do it all over again

Reactions: Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thanks for your help, but it’s 100 + to send it to Nintendo, I already paid 25 for a new lcd screen and a 20 dollar flash cart would bring it to about the same price as a new 2ds xl which is what my son wants anyway. I’ll just try to replace screen myself and if it dies I will just get a 2ds and do it all over again
I must have tore a ribbon cable when I tried to replace my top screen, since the 3ds didn't boot up afterwards. Just trying to save you extra hassle.

kucarachi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I tried to fix it and at first I thought I broke it because it powered on then off right away. Didn’t realize the clips have to be lifted up ribbon slid in then locked. Then the directional pad didn’t work but was just loose. As of now full working again but was scary trying not to rip anything. Thanks for your help

XeoBlade

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've repaired quite a bit of New 3DS XLs and they are much different than the O3DS and O3DS XL. Follow the guide on iFixIt. One thing i cannot express enough, please take the ribbons from the main board out carefully and properly. Especially the three following:

1. Bottom Left
2. Middle bottom
2. Top Middle

Steps 1-11 - FOLLOW THESE
Steps 12-17 - NOT NECESSARY
Step 18 - FOLLOW THIS
Step 19 - not required but would recommend
Step 20 - Skip
Step 21-22 - Replace screen

I tried this but it doesnt work me. My 3ds boot up for 5 sec and then turns off. pls help

RunFwrd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this but it doesnt work me. My 3ds boot up for 5 sec and then turns off. pls help

well im getting ready to do this soon myself so i will update on my status. i still dont think i can decide wether or not the line on my touch screen bothers me enough to replace the whole screen. seems tricky not ripping those ribbons.
here's some pics. i did nothing for this line to appear, it just came out of no where.
3dsline.jpg
3dsline2.jpg

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well im getting ready to do this soon myself so i will update on my status. i still dont think i can decide wether or not the line on my touch screen bothers me enough to replace the whole screen. seems tricky not ripping those ribbons.
here's some pics. i did nothing for this line to appear, it just came out of no where.
View attachment 173699 View attachment 173700
is it only this one app that it appears or is it on more?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol