Question about NAND backups.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Eski, Jul 30, 2011.

Jul 30, 2011

Question about NAND backups. by Eski at 10:15 PM (533 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Eski
    OP

Member Eski GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, my Wii is bricked. Dunno how, but it is. I haven't installed Bootmii or have a NAND backup. Is it possible to use a different NAND backup from a different system? I found a unbricking service for $25, though it requires a NAND backup.

My only other option is replacing the motherboard for $80 or wait for a Wii price drop.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No. The dumps are encrypted with a key that's unique to each console. Unless you have the key for your console, you cannot convert a dump to work.

What happened when the Wii bricked? Just a black screen when you turned it on one day?

3. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    If your wii is one of the very old models that has the option to install bootmii as boot2, it should be possible to program a bootmii in the flash chip as boot2. It's not an easy job. You will need an infectus modchip or another hardware method to low level program the wii flash chip.
    What happened that made your wii become bricked. It might help in giving the right answers if we know how it got bricked in the first place.

4. Eski
    OP

Member Eski GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just hadn't played it in a month. Then turned it on one day, and there was a black screen with no audio. The remotes can turn it on, but won't synch with the system, so it's not the bluetooth module.

5. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    DeadlyFoez would be the best person to give diagnosis/prognosis....he's the infectus king. PM him a link to this thread...see what he thinks....

6. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Are you sure it's not possible for the bluetooth module to be defective while it's still possible to turn the wii on with the remotes?

I would expect the Bluetooth module to have a sort of an interrupt line to switch the system on, as I don't expect everything to stay running to detect a power button press on the remote.

If you buy a second hand wii, you will have a spare bluetooth you can use to test. If it works, you can buy a bluetooth and resell the second wii.

The only bricks that can be fixed by reprogramming the flash chip are those caused by altering it's contents in an unsafe way. This doesn't seem the case with your wii, unless you are not telling us everything.