Question about Metal Gear Peace Walker..

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by zeello, Oct 22, 2014.

1. zeello
    OP

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    If you start a new game before doing a data install, does it prompt you to do a data install?

I'm mainly asking out of curiosity. That said, I just started the game up tonight but wasn't 100% sure whether to do a data install or not. I could do the data install simply to make the game better, and/or to make the game closer to the PSN, Vita, and HD versions of the game. (which I'm guessing are based on the data-installed version of the game) But another factor when deciding things like this is to simply do whatever the game has me do, in order to play the game more objectively. (blind study) Because if the option is buried in the menu and the game never prompts you to do it then maybe I should play dumb and ignore that the game has this feature.

p.s. I could check myself but I already did the install. Just wondering if anyone else knew.

I tried to look at youtube playthroughs, but there's no way to know whether they did data install before recording. One of the playthroughs didn't even pick new game and instead started the playthrough by loading a save file.:unsure:

2. Hargrun

Hargrun Support the arts! (The games, silly.)

May 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    If I remember correctly there are 2 types data install and both are optional:

Small = Audio codecs during missions. (300 MB~)
    Full = Audio codecs + speed up if you're using UMD. (800 MB~)

I recommend that you install at least the "small" package. This makes the game better in my opinion, but if you don't like the dubbing...

3. zeello
    OP

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    I know there are two options because I already did the install and therefore saw the two choices available.

I did the full install. It's funny there are actually two options for it. There's no reason to pick small unless you don't have enough memory stick space available to do full.

But I was more interested in the logistics of coming upon the data install feature in the first place. I knew of the data install before I played the game, possibly even before the game was released in the west. But would everyone playing the game know about it? How would they know? I don't even remember how I had first heard about it, other than that it was most likely from a forum post or gaming website. When I booted up the game, the first thing I did instinctively was to look for the data install feature. Wouldn't someone normally just hit up new game?

4. Hargrun

Hargrun Support the arts! (The games, silly.)

May 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    You're prompted before starting a new game if you want to install it or not (and everything is explained very well), so I think everyone knows. (Yes, I did exactly what you said, straight to the new game.)

And if you're not playing the UMD version there's no reason to do the full install. In the end you will have... Like, 3 GB+ of MGS PW on your card.

(This game + full data install + DLCs = Biggest PSP game? Maybe just losing to Type-0...)