QUestion about making an SD card > GC Mem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by imgod22222, Apr 26, 2007.

Apr 26, 2007
  1. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Ok, so i've been following the instructions from scorpei's blog page.. (sorry i can't get the link ATM)
    and i wanted to know:

Will GC homebrew support MicroSD cards?

Reason being, i can't find a spare SD card reader socket, but i have a few extra SD to microSD adapters, so i thought i would be able to directly solder the adapter to the memory card.

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No reason why it wouldn't. MicroSD -> SD card adapters just take the points and make everything larger to fit into the slot properly. If you designed the slot that way there's no reason why it wouldn't work with whatever SD size you wanted to use.

Where do people get the SD card reader sockets anyway? I was planning on making one of these soon, but I don't even know where to look.

3. imgod22222
    OP

United States
    probably from an enthusiast site or they rip it from existing readers...
    But i just want to confirm with someone because i think the file systems in SD cards differ a little from file systems in MicroSD cards. Or maybe i'm worrying too much.

4. Hooya

United States
    you're worrying too much. If you really want to, just get a microSD to SD card adapter. They usually come with the microSD card anyway... If you're in the USA I can send you one in the mail since I have at least one extra.

5. imgod22222
    OP

United States
    Oh, i was talking about your question of where people get SD card reader sockets.

I also got my soldering gun today, after a few tries, i thought i was ready. I got 3 working joints, and then my fourth one popped off when i tried to make sure it could still slide into teh gamecube port, and the gold contact popped off. So i tried replacing it with some solder... i soon lost my 3 other joints and everything when to shit. [​IMG] Now i'm off to either A) find someone who has an extra memory card they don't want since im out B) Buy another crap memory card and perform surgery C) Beg my parents to let me get an SD gecko online.

6. Hooya

United States
    I think the key words in your post there were "soldering gun".

A "gun" type soldering tool is way way way too hardcore for this kind of project. Get yourself a nice 25 watt pencil style soldering iron for this kind of work.

7. imgod22222
    OP

United States
    whoops, sorry, i meant soldering iron. I got myself a 15 watt because 25 is still too much for something like that IMO.

Anyways your rite, a gun is much different than an iron. A gun would fry it because of the way it generates heat (alternating voltages would kill electronics)

8. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    microSD *should* work fine, but indeed the easiest way is to use the adapter. As for SD-sockets I got them from Molex directly, but anything will do. Scroll down to my "addition" in red (on the same page) and you can see a set of pictures from someone who made his own adapter from an old card-reader and didn't even remove it from the cardreader [​IMG].

9. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    I got my socket from an old cardreader. I've since seen them at an electronics store though.

I love the idea of using the micro-SD adapter though. Wish I'd thought of that.

10. imgod22222
    OP

United States
    Uh... didn't go well. Maybe i bridged some connections on the memory card so i'm ripping apart my 3rd and last memory card.

11. mrwulff

Newcomer mrwulff Advanced Member

United States
    i soldered my microsd adapter diretly to the motherboard, and have it currently sticking out of the back of my wii. works pefect, and the the 1gb only cost 10 bucks

12. imgod22222
    OP

United States
    heh. Good job. I've already messed up 3 memory cards trying to do this.

13. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    You messed up three mem-cards? I can't see why you would mess it up three times, but I guess you might be best of buying a pre-made one or take it to someone who has done it succesfully ones before (I don't think you should try soldering to the mainboard directly).