Hacking Homebrew Question about ISO > CSO

Lappiedoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I got my PSP downgraded to 3.71 M-33 2 earlier today, after taking a good look at the games that person who downgraded for me they are all CSO's and really small. Because I got some games before it got downgraded (Gundam Seed & Lumines 2) which both are pretty big 800~ and 1.1gig. The ones on my memory stick were like 160mb N4SMW and biggest is like Killzone 554mb. So i looked up on the net and tried PSP ISO Compressor 1.4 and tried compressing Lumines to CSO and it had like a 100mb reduction or something. Well i did put it at like lv 9 compression, should i put it like at lower? How much difference is there then in size & quality of the game? If I turn an ISO in to CSO does this mean it will remove all the "movies"?

snesmaster40

Trophies
XP
Country
Basically you're just compressing the ISO again, like compressing something into a zip file, except the PSP decompresses the CSO when needed.

It shouldn't remove anything and the reason why most of those CSO's you were given are small could be that some files were removed (update files, boot.bin, music, movies, ect).

There is some games that have problems in CSO format, mainly the GTA games which lag, as they're usually reading data from the CSO which the PSP has a hard time decompressing the files (due to the processor)

Lappiedoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How much an average compress from ISO to CSO remove in size o_o? I think i might of jsut picked the large games or something cuz they are all so big >.>

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a difference between compressing an ISO to a CSO and making a "rip". ISO > CSO is just compression, retaining all of the game. "Ripping" is taking things out of the game (update, boot.bin and movies are very common, music for weird people who just want the game part of the game). If you rip files from an ISO and then turn it into a CSO, you'll have tiny files and can fit huge games like Syphon Filter on a 512MB memory stick multiple times over.

darkzeroex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i just find that csos have a longer load time between scenes. The higher the compression, the longer the wait time (compared to isos).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here