Question about installing half of a game each time

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by andredinizbegio, Nov 6, 2016.

1. andredinizbegio
    OP

andredinizbegio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2009
    Brazil
    Hi GBA!

A friend of mine only have a 4GB sd card, is it possible for he to install one game with half of each time? I mean, just transfer half of the files, install using wupinstaller and then the other half? Or it will get MCP error? Sorry to create a thread about that, I've searched but couldn't found the answer.

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    AFAIK it's not possible as you can't hot swap cards.

3. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Will not work. Simple as that.

4. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    No not sure of the exact technical terms behind it but the whole game must be present as it loads the complete file into memory then installs it if all the files are not present you will be told the file is faulty and can't be installed

5. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Even if there was a way to only install "half" of the game, assets aren't linearly laid out. There is no way to know what is used when, and assets from the beginning of the game can be, and are most likely, used at the end of the game as well.

6. andredinizbegio
    OP

andredinizbegio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2009
    Brazil
    Sorry, i guess I've not made myself clear.

Pick a game that has like 20GB (Xenoblade) for example. Is it possible to put some of the files on the SD card (4GB), than install it via Wupinstaller than put another 4GB of files on it than go to wupinstaller again and repeat the process till all the 20GB is installed on the USB HDD? I mean, technically the game will only be opened after it was entirelly installed.
    Or will Wupinstaller return an error, saying the game was already installed e not let you install the rest of the game?

7. AssemblerX86

AssemblerX86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    WUP Installer doesn't support this, so no you can't (It is technically possible though.)

8. andredinizbegio
    OP

andredinizbegio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2009
    Brazil
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. Thanks!

Also, do you think this is a major problem for more people? It doesn't affect me, but maybe I should suggest to the dev to implement that feature on future releases.

9. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    I don't see it as a major problem at all most people have large so cards and if they don't they are really cheap to buy anyway (well at least here in Scotland they are lol)

10. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Most people use 64 GB + sd cards from when loadiine was used so it wouldn't be a problem for most

11. apachehavok

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Problem?

You can literally get name brand 32gb SD cards online at major retailer for like 15 bucks or less. Not much of a problem...

TerryG likes this.
  12. AssemblerX86

AssemblerX86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    It is a missing feature, but most people here have at least a 32GB SD Card for when they were using Loadiine.

I would suggest adding a feature to install the files to USB/HDD from a network, for example if you have the files on your computer, you would launch a WUP Installer server on your PC, and then WUP Installer on the Wii U would start downloading the game from your local computer... Or maybe a remote computer... ha... haha... PIRACY SERVER CONTAINING ALL GAMES!!!... HAHAHAHA...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... ehm...

Last edited by AssemblerX86, Nov 7, 2016