Question about general maintenance of CFW n3DS, also disappearing CIA files

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by treeman, Sep 21, 2016.

1. treeman
    OP

treeman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    United States
    So I have two questions. I am a noob that followed the Phailect guide, got it working really well. Then I added some additional cia files (trying to make a kick butt legacy system, not really wanting the freeshop stuff), and all of my CFW files (FBI, homebrew, luma, etc) and a lot of my cias just vanished.

Some of you helped me get FBI and homebrew and luma back.

Now I am taking the painstaking effort of putting back all of my cia files (and some additional ones). I am noticing that some of them are randomly disappearing. What is causing this?

Also, once you get everything set up, is there anything you have to do regularly to back it up or maintain it?

Thanks!

2. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Are you exceeding 300 CIA? Including badges.

3. Pecrow

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Badges go under the 300 limit?

4. LiamTehChikorita

LiamTehChikorita Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2015
    United States
    Grassy and wooden places.
    yeah, unfortunately

5. treeman
    OP

treeman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    United States
    about that many CIA alone. I'm going to cull a bunch.

What happens when you go over the 300 limit? Does it automatically delete other cia files?

6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    normally, the system would probably send you a notice that 300 is the limit (wtf you need 300 for anyway?). however, fbi might nit care and just go for it anyways. check what happens if you remove a few of the currently visible cias. and check if the vanished ones still show up in system settings

LiamTehChikorita likes this.
  7. MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland Searching for the truth

Jul 7, 2012
    You can install as many as you want but the home menu will only show the first 300 so if you can't see one you want to launch on the home menu then go into FBI, find it in there and launch it

8. treeman
    OP

treeman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    United States
    Interesting. I just deleted about 50 cia files, and when I got out of settings, a bunch of the missing ones showed back up as the "present" icons that you unwrap. I guess that explains the missing cia files.

I will more carefully manage my library. Thanks for the advice.

9. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    I've heard that placing stuff in folders allows you to bypass this limit. Is that true?