Hacking question about GC fuses

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I was reading up on 9.0 and learned that it burned GC fuses. Just to clarify, this is different than the firmware fuse right? And this is what determines if you can run gamecarts on below 9.0? I am a little bit unclear on that last bit - When you update a switch to 9.0 normally and burn GC fuses, what can you not play? XCI/NSP on earlier patches that did not require 9.0? In the future, will using xci/nsp with "ignore firmware requirements" still allow us to play normally or will we have to update all games with the newest patch (basically re-do the vast majority of a custom/super xci collection) ?

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Having a GC fuse burnt and the cartridge reader firmware updated means that you won't be able to play original cartridges on a firmware lower than 9.0

Reactions: SaggyBeans

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having a GC fuse burnt and the cartridge reader firmware updated means that you won't be able to play original cartridges on a firmware lower than 9.0
What do you mean “original cartridge on a firmware lower than 9.0”

Specifically do you mean if the game cart comes with lower firmware requirements? Or what?

PitPitPit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Someone in the big SX OS 2.9 thread suggested that the GC fuse actually only gets burned if you insert a gamecard after updating to 9.0.0. So maybe if you haven't put in an original card under 9.0.0. the fuse could still be fine.

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if there's any clarity on this. Does 9.0 FW burn gc fuse if you update offline with AutoRCM. And does SX OS 2.9.1 beta burn gc fuse when mounting XCI. I already know inserting a actual game cart will burn the gc fuse but according to this tweet it does.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName:
    You can get a am4 mobo for $60 and a decent athlon for $80
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    i want to see how much i can break the limits on low, low ass budgets
    Gift
  • lehgfeslug @ lehgfeslug:
    @KenniesNewName Mate, he has a DELL Optiplex, he needs a new PSU to get anything newer. Add another $60 to that, as well as $60 for faster RAM (APUs LOVE fast RAM) and you quickly approach $400
    Gift
    Which would be smarter than buying old cheap shit lol
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    old shit is what i like! :(
    Gift
    Can't complain about bad performance then
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    i like old pcs and components i feel like they deserve to be used
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    instead of just binned
    Gift
    Thrift stores are the best place to look for that stuff
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    if you can't find a use for it,
    bag it up and wait to get components and connectors to try it out!
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    Alright
    Gift
    Just saying it's hard to get decent performance from 15+ year old tech
    Gift
  • NoobletCheese @ NoobletCheese:
    i like my old pcs , their motherboards are 2014 spec and GPU 2016 spec. they never crash or lag, using it for games, emulation, youtube, HTPC (madVR 4k60 HDR h.265 plays flawlessly). feels like im getting such good value. i just hope i dont get a hardware fault.
    Gift
    my worst nightmare is spending a lot of money on new gear and then having some gremlins like random BSODs or some unsolvabe perf issues. that would really upset me. ill take cheap and cheerful anyday of the week
    Gift
    Old tech is awesome but it becomes such a heads ache with low perfrdriver support modern games etc it's only stable if you plan on using software that was made for that exact era
    Gift
    well actually i had issues with stutters in games from the old era like vanilla Skyrim and S.T.A.L.K.E.R and ended up solving it by tweaking their ini files and running all games off SSD.
    Gift
    Go floppy
    Gift
    but yeah i havent really played any new DX12 games on it -- still using win7 which doesn't even support
    DX12
    Gift
    I love me og xbox seems like right when I'm done opening it some new update comes out
    Gift
    in SKyrim it was the bTrees distance thingy and in S.T.A.L.K.E.R it was the alife distance value
    Gift
    I'm surprised they finally stopped milking Skyrim for what it's worth to be fair
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eh Skyrim HDR edition soon
    Gift
    Lewl with 8k graphics texture packs
    Gift
    Aw my health insurance just fucked me gonna be having to pay like $150 a month
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Damn I didn't know you could get prostate massage that cheap!
    Gift
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Damn I didn't know you could get prostate massage that cheap!