Hardware Question about Gamestop New 3DS XL trade offer

link6155

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

Nintendo has announced that they'll be selling the new 3DS XL in North America next month and Gamestop has announced that they'll be allowing people to trade in their old 3DS system or PSP Vita to get some cash towards the new handheld. My only concern right now is that many of my games are downloaded. So how would I be able to keep my games if I can't use the 3DS system transfer (assuming I have to trade in my old 3DS first before I can get the new one). Could I just take out the SD card and wipe my old 3DS or would that not work?

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo has a terrible account system. basically your account is tied to the system (both wii u and 3ds)

there is a system transfer option in the system settings but this requires a few things, mainly
1. both 3ds systems up to date
2. wifi
3. some time to do the transfer.

I have read that gamestop will let you either do the transfer in stores or you buy it and within 48hrs come back with the receipt and the trade in 3ds and they give you money back

Lastly during the nintendo direct for NA where they announced the n3ds they said they will give details on how to transfer in the coming weeks. this could mean a different way to transfer.

Reactions: link6155

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the FW version make any difference in this? I'm assuming doing a system transfer from emunand to the N3DS would work, but I have no idea.

link6155

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read that gamestop will let you either do the transfer in stores or you buy it and within 48hrs come back with the receipt and the trade in 3ds and they give you money back

Lastly during the nintendo direct for NA where they announced the n3ds they said they will give details on how to transfer in the coming weeks. this could mean a different way to transfer.
Where can I find reference to this?

Another question I have, would I need to also turn in my 3DS charger?

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes the charger and I think stylus are required at trade in. as for emunand I don't think it works on n3ds but I really don't know

latest firmware is required for a system transfer. this thread talks about it, and they know more than me about it :D
http://gbatemp.net/threads/system-transfer-without-updating-firmware.378977/

So you need the N3DS to be on 9.4 emunand as well, huh. I guess the only issues for you are...

1) Eventual N3DS support from GW does not include emunand
2) Nintendo releases 9.5 FW and GW does not support it via emunand (but they seem to always get support for it correct?)

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EBGames in Canada requires you pay for the New 3DS XL in full then you take the New 3DS XL home and do the transfer yourself within 48 hours.

Upon completion of system transfer, you simply bring back the purchase receipt for the New 3DS XL along with your old 3DS (XL) to EBGames and they will issue you a refund for the amount your old 3DS (XL) is worth for the trade-in promotion.

Given that EBGames in Canada and GameStop in the USA is one company I'm thinking the same rules might apply for GameStop in the USA.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EBGames in Canada requires you pay for the New 3DS XL in full then you take the New 3DS XL home and do the transfer yourself within 48 hours.

Upon completion of system transfer, you simply bring back the purchase receipt for the New 3DS XL along with your old 3DS (XL) to EBGames and they will issue you a refund for the amount your old 3DS (XL) is worth for the trade-in promotion.

Given that EBGames in Canada and GameStop in the USA is one company I'm thinking the same rules might apply for GameStop in the USA.

The offer actually has different terms in the US compared to ebgames CA. ebgames offer is until March 1 and the gamestop offer is for pre-orders until Feb 13.

So you might have to actually give up the console in order to get the $75/100 credit and that credit must be applied to the N3DS XL preorder.

Maybe someone who has contacted a US gamestop would know, but going by the fine print you have to trade in your old 3DS by Feb 13th.

D

Deleted-355425

Why would anyone trade in a vita for credit.. That things going to be the top emulator machine when it gets unlocked.

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would anyone trade in a vita for credit.. That things going to be the top emulator machine when it gets unlocked.

Will that happen any time soon? My Vita sits around doing nothing, I'm not even sure where it is anymore.

D

Deleted-355425

Will that happen any time soon? My Vita sits around doing nothing, I'm not even sure where it is anymore.

I understand the frustration but good things come to those that wait, 5" oled and emulators is going to rawk!

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand the frustration but good things come to those that wait, 5" oled and emulators is going to rawk!

But seriously, I can't find my Vita anywhere. I haven't seen it since Terraria was added to Playstation Plus. I'm also not sure where my other Kindle is.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone talked to gamestop about the trade in offer, if you have to pre-order for it? and how would you do the transfer since you need to bring in your 3ds when you pre-order it.

I tried but they didn't know much (new employee) and claimed all new 3ds systems were online order only and you need to pay 100% at the time of order and for the trade in deal your 3ds too.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone talked to gamestop about the trade in offer, if you have to pre-order for it? and how would you do the transfer since you need to bring in your 3ds when you pre-order it.

I tried but they didn't know much (new employee) and claimed all new 3ds systems were online order only and you need to pay 100% at the time of order and for the trade in deal your 3ds too.

From the fine print it seems like you have to turn in your 3DS in order to get the credit, which is applied to the preorder.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the fine print it seems like you have to turn in your 3DS in order to get the credit, which is applied to the preorder.

well that is lame. hopefully nintendo announces a new way to do this, until then I'll hold out on a pre-order. I don't expect it to be a hard console to find on launch, I'll wait a couple hours if needed that is if I don't pre-order. worst case I have 3 3ds's best case I sell one for over $100, $80 should be easy to get though...

I heard some rumors that they might have a new way of handling this. in the direct they said in the coming weeks they would detail how to transfer, I imagine if they were referring to the terrible way that they have been doing it they would have said so. plus club nintendo is shutting down in about 2 months and they said they will be introducing a new system... hopefully it's some form of unified account system that is where all your purchases are stored... not whatever it is they have now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."