GCN Question About Gamecube Modchips

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I know stuff about modding Wiis and that, but what about the Gamecube? So I'm going to ask some noobish questions so just bare with me.

1. What Gamecube modchips are avalible right now?
2. How can you tell if your Gamecube is compatible with a certain mod? (Like for Wii there's DMS, D2B, etc...)
3. How do you open your Gamecube?
4. Just how are you supposed to play burned games? The Gamecube uses smaller size DVDs...
5. I had a Gamecube back when they first came out, but it broke in 2005 so I got it replaced with a new silver one (if that matters).
6. Whats the simplest mod out? The one that requires the least amount of soldering?
7. Is the Gamecube region-free?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1)Only ones I see about these days are the Viper GC extreme or xeno GC.
2)All can be modded.
3)Gamebit screwdriver or you can heat a pen up and ram it into the screw so it takes the shape to open it. May aswell just order the gamebit with the chip though , they are not expensive.
4)They make mini dvd-r's , use them or buy one of the replacement cases that take full size discs (Might have trouble finding one now).
5)See 2
6)Viper GC is less soldering than the xeno gc. 4 wires vs 6 , but both are pretty simple.
7)Once chipped , yes.

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)Only ones I see about these days are the Viper GC extreme or xeno GC.
2)All can be modded.
3)Gamebit screwdriver or you can heat a pen up and ram it into the screw so it takes the shape to open it. May aswell just order the gamebit with the chip though , they are not expensive.
4)They make mini dvd-r's , use them or buy one of the replacement cases that take full size discs (Might have trouble finding one now).
5)See 2
6)Viper GC is less soldering than the xeno gc. 4 wires vs 6 , but both are pretty simple.
7)Once chipped , yes.

Thanks much!
wink.gif

Can't you just take off the case and it can read full DVDs? Wait, how can it read them if the laser cannot go that far? And I found mini DVDs, but they're like $20 for 3! Do you burn mini DVDs the same way you do regularly?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can just take off the case if you want and use full size dvds. Laser can read them fine , you don't fill the whole disc , just the part the gc can read. Burn them exactly as you would a full size disc and you are getting totally ripped with them mini dvds. A quick search and http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-mini...-printable.html , 10 for $4. No idea if shop is reliable , I'm in uk and that was just the first shop I found , but that's pretty much the going rate for mini dvds.

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can just take off the case if you want and use full size dvds. Laser can read them fine , you don't fill the whole disc , just the part the gc can read. Burn them exactly as you would a full size disc and you are getting totally ripped with them mini dvds. A quick search and http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-mini...-printable.html , 10 for $4. No idea if shop is reliable , I'm in uk and that was just the first shop I found , but that's pretty much the going rate for mini dvds.

So how do I take apart my Gamecube from there? Is there a guide somewhere? Where do they sell the chips? I looked at modchipcentral.com but they were out...

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gamecube games should all be 1.35GB , can't be any more specific than that as I don't have any images on my hdd. Some games might be less than that (old ones that were ripped to stream better) , but there are some programs around that can pack them out to 1.35. You can also make multidisc games
smile.gif
, but limited to 1.35GB (possibly 2GB , but not sure can't remember).

Discs should be ok , but gamecubes can be very very picky with media
frown.gif

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamecube games should all be 1.35GB , can't be any more specific than that as I don't have any images on my hdd. Some games might be less than that (old ones that were ripped to stream better) , but there are some programs around that can pack them out to 1.35. You can also make multidisc games
smile.gif
, but limited to 1.35GB (possibly 2GB , but not sure can't remember).

Discs should be ok , but gamecubes can be very very picky with media
frown.gif

So how exactly do I make a screwdriver with my pen? How should I burn it? Which side should I use? Should I take the pen apart first?

EDIT: When the case if off, how will it read the disk? The cover has to be closed. Is there a way to trick it into reading it?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Viper has a lid sensor bypass. Set it to closed in the chips option and it will play with the lid off , but with it set to closed , no double disc games as it won't be able to tell if lid is open or shut. Xeno GC I'm not sure about. It's not much hassle anyway though , it's a physical switch , you can just tape it down and it will think the lid is shut and play the game.

As for the pen , can't find tutorial , but basically you take the end of the pen out so you have just the hollow tube , heat the open end of it so it's soft and then stick it into the screw. Gamebit is still better , if your getting a chip just order one with it.

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Viper has a lid sensor bypass. Set it to closed in the chips option and it will play with the lid off , but with it set to closed , no double disc games as it won't be able to tell if lid is open or shut. Xeno GC I'm not sure about. It's not much hassle anyway though , it's a physical switch , you can just tape it down and it will think the lid is shut and play the game.

As for the pen , can't find tutorial , but basically you take the end of the pen out so you have just the hollow tube , heat the open end of it so it's soft and then stick it into the screw. Gamebit is still better , if your getting a chip just order one with it.

So Xeno cannot play with full sized DVDs?

EarthBound

a/s/l?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

So Xeno cannot play with full sized DVDs?

They have replacement cases that can fit mini/dvd5 dvd's.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lid sensor can be taped down as well. So if you got the xeno and wanted to run without case , tape it down and away you go.

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where do you tape it at?

EDIT: While you're at it, where do they sell them in stock that will ship to the US? Mod Chip Central is out, so yeah...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lid sensor is on the back right of the cube (if your looking at it from the front). Can't miss it , just push it down and tape it and the cube will think the lid is shut.

No idea for shops that have chips and ship to US.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: