question about files in the Wii disc file(.iso)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by externalist, Feb 17, 2010.

1. externalist
    OP

Newcomer externalist Member

Korea, South
    Now that I seem to get a grip of the .wad files, I'm looking into the .iso files.

I've done a little research and so far I know that there are 2 partitions and the first partition is for the firmware update, and the second contains the real game.
    opening.bnr contains data for the banner and tmd.bin seems to be the title meta data, ticket.bin the ticket, cert.bin the certificate. Now what I can't seem to figure out is the h3.bin and boot.bin, bi2.bin, apploader.img, main.dol and fst.bin. What are they and why do they exist? What's their functionality?

The one I'm most interested is the file that executes when the game runs, which I'm assuming is main.dol, so I ran it in IDA but looking from the entrypoint, all it does it store r0 in memory and exits(blr). I'm confused. :/ Can anyone point me to a link or doc that explains the common files in a .iso file?

I'm trying to collect technical detail as much as possible, and I'm wondering where all the Wii Hackers(The ones who create new stuff) hang out and discuss things. People couldn't have discovered everything by themselves, there must be some collaberation and a central point where all the important information goes through. I just can't seem to find that place. :/ (or is it unofficial?) I'm currently looking mostly at the wiibrew wiki and wiibrew forums, hackmii irc logs but if anyone knows any other site that contains lots of in depth technical details or places with lots of technical discussions going on(software reverse engineering or hardware hacking) please let me know. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Adetque

Newcomer Adetque Newbie

United States
    I'm pretty sure main.dol is the first thing that starts up and loads the rest of the files on the ISO, similar to the exe in an installed program.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    There has been a lot of experimenting with wad files, so you'll find way more about those than about ISO files (most wad info is at http://wadder.net/wiki/)

Maybe you should pay a visit to #WiiHelp (on EFNet) and ask there

4. externalist
    OP

Newcomer externalist Member

Korea, South
    I don't know if it's ok to talk about iso files in WiiHelp. People there seemed to be very hostile to people asking for pirated games info, and iso isk sort of related to it so I'm not sure if they'll accept it, but it's worth a shot. Thanks.