mflo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering, is a fake memory stick duo really bad? Do they even work? What's the difference between fake and legit.
Now, I know that all memory cards don't have exactly the amount of space on them like they say they do (Correct me if i'm wrong), so how do you tell if it's fake? What are the cons of a fake m.stick duo?

craig588

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's a higher chance it'll fail quickly. Sometimes they're slower than the real thing too. Fake or real memory sticks would have very similar amounts of space, that's not at all a way to tell. If you want legitimate hardware go through reputable dealers like ZipZoomFly or NewEgg.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The easiest way to tell between a fake and an original is with a PSP, pop a real Pro Duo in and it will say MagicGate supported, a fake one will say MagicGate unsupported. MagicGate technology is simply a chip inside the PSP that communicates with a MagicGate chip inside the Pro Duo for copy protection - presumably fake Pro Duos do not have the MagicGate chip hence the message on the PSP. Despite the fakes not having this chip they are pretty much otherwise identical to a real Pro Duo and work perfectly with devices like the PSP and my Sony Ericson cell phone. However it states on Wikipedia that 'Some devices, such as Sony's Network Walkman, will only accept Memory Sticks which use MagicGate technology.' So whether the fake Pro Duos work on all devices I cannot say, although this is the first I've heard about it.

But yeah like craig588 said main difference is that fakes are a tiny bit slower and there is a chance it will fail sooner (a friend of mine had a 2GB fail after a year or so). Space wise fake and originals are the same. On the plus though they are a heck of a lot cheaper!

I have 3 fake 2GB Pro Duos myself for use with my PSP and after 5 months'ish they're still all working fine. I only paid £9-10 for each of mine, which is a bit better than the £70 the original Pro Duos retailed for at the time!
As for slow speeds they seem alright to me, and anyways, playing a game from a memory stick is billion times faster than waiting for a UMD to load... zzzzz. And I wouldn't worry about the fakes failing, hey if they do fail within a year or two, flash memory drops in price so fast by then we'll probably be able to pick up 4-8GB Pro Duos for $10!

smile.gif

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My bad
laugh.gif
i have a fake memory stick and it wont play ps1 games. I also read somewhere fakes dont play ps1 games i guess some fakes do and some dont
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1