Hacking Question about EZ-FLASH 4 EZCart

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking at possibly replacing my cart EFA Linker SImple (if I can't get it going that is). And I was wondering about the EZ-Flash 4 cart EZ Cart, does it just work like a USB drive? No drivers required? Also does it have a battery? And if so, is it easy to replace? Does it require soldering to do so? (I suck as soldering).

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The EZ-Flash IV cart uses a miniSD slot. The only thing you need is any standard reader to use to put your files onto the miniSD. Because miniSD are basically hard to get, many people get a microSD to miniSD adaptor. The problem with this setup is that getting a crappy no-name adaptor will cause you more problems than making it easier.

Yes there is a battery, it should last anywhere from 3-5 years. You can practice in the meantime, you can buy a soldering iron, solder, pcb, pins and wires to practice for less than 20 bucks at radioshack, you can find any video instructions on howtos online. Otherwise you can get a new cart in that time.

miniSD adaptor on the right:
IMG_150382b.jpg

battery
IMG_140102.jpg

D

Deleted-236924

The battery should not cause that many problems if you use in-game soft reset, because the in-game soft reset will backup the contents of SRAM to the .sav file on the miniSD without having to turn off the power.

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting about soft-save.  I am surprised they don't put battery holder in that does not require soldering.  I have a old GB Emerger Ecard (still works well btw and the battery is still good amazingly enough) that you just slide the battery out and a new one in, no soldering required.  In old game carts I understand soldering but in flash carts?  My problem is the smell of solder makes me sick so I really can't replace it myself (and back when I could..my soldering skills sucked anyway)...ah well will have to find someone else to do it for me.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can solder a battery insert, the only problem is that the battery you will be using will be smaller and have a shorter life span, the flipside is it doesn't require pre-soldered tabs and is more easily available anywhere.

Other options is to use things like capacitive epoxy or electronic glue, either of which can carry a charge. You still have to remove the original battery either by soldering iron or to cut it off.

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohh that would work..a battery insert. Even if it was smaller that is ok, as long as I could replace it later. Do they have rechargeable batteries that size? I assume I need a rechargeable since this one is. (having the cart plugged in trying to recharge a non-rechargeable battery is definitely not good)

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I figured it still required soldering, but I thought if I could find someone that could do it for me, then I would be all set (especially since I would need to find someone else to solder a new battery in anyway).  My battery is indeed toast (as per the other thread).  I am trying to see if I can get the battery out without soldering, hard to see as the label is right over the battery.  I took out the screw in the back without any issue, but still having problems getting the cart appart.  I don't want to break it, and I found that one side slide towards the contacts and pops open...but the other side is still stuck fast.  Is there a special trick to getting these EFA Linker Simple carts apart? Oh Btw where is the best place to get batteries? I was thinking of rechargeable considering if the cart is plugged in it will try to charge a installed battery, which would not be a good thing if it was a standard battery?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse