Hacking Question about EZ Flash 3-in-1 slot 2 card

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question about the Ez Flash 3-in-1 slot 2 expansion card for my DS Lite. I have two slot-1 flashcards: an R4DS card (original model) as well as an R4iGold 3DS card for my DS Lite. I want to play GBA games on it and it seems like this Slot-2 expansion card is the cheapest and best option for me.

A few questions about the card:

-Is it compatible with one (or both) of the above slot-1 cards?
-Is the game compatibility 100% for all GBA games? If not, are there any notable exceptions?
-Are there any drawbacks to the Ez Flash expansion card?
-Do I store the GBA roms on the slot-1 microSD card? (not on the EZ Flash itself)
-Does it come with a battery for SRAM saves that might need replacing over time? Is there a simple way to save directly to the microSD card in the slot-1 flash card?
-Are there any better (or cheaper) options for my DS Lite to play GBA games? I'm not interested in GBA emulators as I want the games to play natively in the DS hardware's GBA mode.

Thanks for your help.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have a question about the Ez Flash 3-in-1 slot 2 expansion card for my DS Lite. I have two slot-1 flashcards: an R4DS card (original model) as well as an R4iGold 3DS card for my DS Lite. I want to play GBA games on it and it seems like this Slot-2 expansion card is the cheapest and best option for me.

A few questions about the card:

-Is it compatible with one (or both) of the above slot-1 cards?
-Is the game compatibility 100% for all GBA games? If not, are there any notable exceptions?
-Are there any drawbacks to the Ez Flash expansion card?
-Do I store the GBA roms on the slot-1 microSD card? (not on the EZ Flash itself)
-Does it come with a battery for SRAM saves that might need replacing over time? Is there a simple way to save directly to the microSD card in the slot-1 flash card?
-Are there any better (or cheaper) options for my DS Lite to play GBA games? I'm not interested in GBA emulators as I want the games to play natively in the DS hardware's GBA mode.

Thanks for your help.

1. Works with both if your using wood R4.
2. No flashcart is 100% compatible.
Games that use RTC require a RTC patch before using. The 3in1 doesn't have a RTC hardware that is why.
Some games don't work properly after a certain point in the game, like Sonic Advance 2.
Boktai 1&2 require a patch, the actual game has a light sensor.
Litany of other small things that make a rom unplayable, requires a patch or 2 to work.​
3. That depends on the type of homebrew that you try to use that "supports" the 3in1 for special features. For just playing games, not many, see #2.
4. With Wood R4 you launch the GBA rom the same way you would launch a DS rom.
5. The battery should last you at least 2-3 years before you have to think about replacing it. Requires soldering skills or you can the tape method. Games flashed to PSRAM are automatically backed up on restart of your DS/L. Games in NOR require manual backup from time to time or you can expect to lose it if say your in a game after 5 years.

6. No, the 3in1 and other GEPs are as cheap as you get for playing GBA roms. Real GBA flashcarts can cost 2x or more than a 3in1.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that,
Reactions: wariobar

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot for the info. By 'real GBA flashcarts' do you mean for example the EZ Flash IV? That's pretty much for people who don't own a slot-1 DS flashcard and need a stand-alone GBA cart (or need a flashcart for their GBA console)? Is there any reason that I should buy a real GBA flashcart over a GBA expansion cart for my DS lite?

Last edited by Zamzummin,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1