Question about emulation

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tsantsa, Aug 13, 2007.

Aug 13, 2007

Question about emulation by tsantsa at 7:24 PM (1,333 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. tsantsa
    OP

Newcomer tsantsa Member

I have had a Wii since launch. However, I have just gotten around to buying some Wii points for some VC games. It occured to me after I had spent the money and points that I had read that an emulator can be run on the Wii. I thought I'd read it here, but I can't be sure.

SO, what is the process to run emulators on the Wii? Is a chip necessary?

I've tried to read around the site, but I'm not seeing a guide to emulation or anything, or am I blind?!?

Thanks in advance.

2. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

there are emus developed for the gc and of course you need to mod so that you can run homebrew on gc =)

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Actually there is a way you can use an action replay but a chip is easier.

You have two options really when running emulated stuff, it varies between emulator what is required.

SD-GC memcard adapter. Buy or make:
    Copy games to SD, play. Fairly common, especially with the resurgence in GC homebrew. DIY adapter guide from Scorpei: http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html
    I do however believe the current update messes with this method.

Plain rom on disc: burn roms+emulator to disc. Also common.

Image creation: not so common but you need to make a special image with the roms in it to run. Mainly limited to older homebrew of more obscure systems.

4. tsantsa
    OP

Newcomer tsantsa Member

So, in order to run games from a disc, I would need an action replay? GC version? I think I don't want to mod my Wii is why I'm asking about the AR.
    Also, when doing this are we able to use the wii controller or must we use a classic or GC controller?

(btw is anyone putting out a wireless classic controller? I want to play some N64 games too, but I don't want the wired controller from either the GC or the classic...)

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    lol if you updated to the latest 3.0 firmware your option to use the SD launcher or a action replay is completely gone, it's been blocked by nintendo.

6. elm

Member elm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Speaking of Emulators for the Wii and with TehSkeen dead... what Emulators are out for the Wii?

I have SNES, NES, Sega- Master System, Sega- Mega Drive, Sega- Genesis, Turbo GrafX.

What about the (Mame) Arcade, Colecovision, Gameboy & Gameboy Color do they exist for the Wii yet?

Thanks Elm

7. pnut

Member pnut GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is it just me or is there a significant difference in reaction time on emulators vs VC games (or even original NES system for that matter).

I've noticed this for many games. One example is Ninja Gaiden. Play on VC, NES and Emulator and notice the lag on the emulator. Is it all emulators or just mine?

8. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    sega megadrive and genesis is the same system, the megadrive is the europe's name and the genesis is the USA name.

and no, there is no gameboy colour or gameboy original emulator for the gamecube, (the Wii doesn't have homebrew yet, all the emulators you are playing are in gamecube mode) i think there is a mame emulator but don't quote me on that one i am not sure, and even if it was true i doubt it would be fast enough out of all the emulators i've used to play mame they were all very slow.

9. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/GameCube_homebrew_list

There is a GB/GBC emulator for the GC -- GNUboy. Can't check right now but I should have it on my cube/Wii at the moment.

Mame emulators currently all use GClinux --> don't work currently on the Wii unless someone makes a stand-alone build.

10. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    why add support for it if it's not supported?

11. Scorpei

Netherlands
    All homebrew on Wii is currently in GC mode [​IMG].

12. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    yes i know, i was just questioning why they would say Wii 4GB is supported, it's a pointless feature for now untill it's unlocked i guess.

13. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Nono, it works up to 4Gb however that only works on the Wii in GC mode.

14. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    right, so how do you make a "Wii disc" then? i need to know because i can save my last few mini dvd's that i have left and just use a full size dvd instead, do you just compile a "boot disc" like normal and put 4gb worth of roms on it instead of just 1.35gb?

15. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    make-multiv3.exe