question about Ebay

roguetrip

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm noticing this more and more, names like l***r, a***l and so forth, is this just to hide the users name or what?!?

Basically every time I go to bid on something I see someone with asterisk marks in the name and just want to make sure If I need to watch out for them. TIA!

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that eBay is now trying to protect the bidder's identity when participating in an auction. They recently made it where sellers cannot leave negative feedback on a buyer, so I wouldn't be surprised if they censored names of other buyers in product listings. If I, sjones411, were to bid on something and you checked the page, you would most likely see just s******1 or something similar.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait what the hell? You can't leave negative feedback as a seller?! What if some dumb prick screws around with you and delays paying a week, or uses some crap lazy way so it takes 2 weeks? I'd always nail someone with a negative on that if it wasn't understood in advance due to my sellers terms.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Wait what the hell? You can't leave negative feedback as a seller?! What if some dumb prick screws around with you and delays paying a week, or uses some crap lazy way so it takes 2 weeks? I'd always nail someone with a negative on that if it wasn't understood in advance due to my sellers terms.

Yep, sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. My dad ebays a lot and when someone just doesn't pay, all you can do is file a report and ebay gives them a black mark that no one can see. When they get enough black marks, they'll so "something".

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then I'm done selling at that shithole. I'm sorry but if I can't reprimand dipshits for deadbeating on an auction, retracting pay, faking pay, or any other dirty tactic that means you no long have any protections. I was already 95% done with them due to the double-triple hikes in rates between their paypal shenanigans and the standard hikes and added fees for everything that at one time was included.

Fuck 'em.

I may buy there again if I can find someone not screwing me for +$5 added into the shipping to cover their fees, but it's not likely. Asses...been using that place now for 12 years.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Does it actually use your first and last character and mask the rest?
What if me and someone account named Dildo bid on the same stuff?
D***o for D(eathfisar)o
D***o for D(ild)o

More like, whenever I bid some other people are gonna go "Oh look, this guy's account name must be Dildo!"

Damn ebay.

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
Does it actually use your first and last character and mask the rest?
What if me and someone account named Dildo bid on the same stuff?
D***o for D(eathfisar)o
D***o for D(ild)o

More like, whenever I bid some other people are gonna go "Oh look, this guy's account name must be Dildo!"

Damn ebay.
I'm pretty sure it's two random letters, with *'s in the middle for the remaining letters. Given the first, last, and exact number of letters along with their feedback would be too easy for the system to be bypassed.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
That must be the US one. The Aus one just says Bidder 1 and Bidder 2.. Its the sellers choice to be private or not though..
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night