question about Ebay

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by roguetrip, Sep 3, 2008.

Sep 3, 2008

question about Ebay by roguetrip at 12:43 AM (1,092 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. roguetrip
    OP

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm noticing this more and more, names like l***r, a***l and so forth, is this just to hide the users name or what?!?

Basically every time I go to bid on something I see someone with asterisk marks in the name and just want to make sure If I need to watch out for them. TIA!

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I noticed this too. Im curious to know as well.

3. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I believe that eBay is now trying to protect the bidder's identity when participating in an auction. They recently made it where sellers cannot leave negative feedback on a buyer, so I wouldn't be surprised if they censored names of other buyers in product listings. If I, sjones411, were to bid on something and you checked the page, you would most likely see just s******1 or something similar.

4. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Yeah, they do it to censor names for privacy.

5. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Wait what the hell? You can't leave negative feedback as a seller?! What if some dumb prick screws around with you and delays paying a week, or uses some crap lazy way so it takes 2 weeks? I'd always nail someone with a negative on that if it wasn't understood in advance due to my sellers terms.

6. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Yep, sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. My dad ebays a lot and when someone just doesn't pay, all you can do is file a report and ebay gives them a black mark that no one can see. When they get enough black marks, they'll so "something".

7. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Well then I'm done selling at that shithole. I'm sorry but if I can't reprimand dipshits for deadbeating on an auction, retracting pay, faking pay, or any other dirty tactic that means you no long have any protections. I was already 95% done with them due to the double-triple hikes in rates between their paypal shenanigans and the standard hikes and added fees for everything that at one time was included.

Fuck 'em.

I may buy there again if I can find someone not screwing me for +$5 added into the shipping to cover their fees, but it's not likely. Asses...been using that place now for 12 years.

8. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Does it actually use your first and last character and mask the rest?
    What if me and someone account named Dildo bid on the same stuff?
    D***o for D(eathfisar)o
    D***o for D(ild)o

More like, whenever I bid some other people are gonna go "Oh look, this guy's account name must be Dildo!"

Damn ebay.

9. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    I'm pretty sure it's two random letters, with *'s in the middle for the remaining letters. Given the first, last, and exact number of letters along with their feedback would be too easy for the system to be bypassed.

10. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    That must be the US one. The Aus one just says Bidder 1 and Bidder 2.. Its the sellers choice to be private or not though.. [​IMG]