Hacking Question about DVD-Drive version/Modchips..

just4747

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got to open up my Wii and see which drive I had today. Below are the pics I took. It says GC2-D2C and has a serial # below that as well. Because the console was bought just last month and has the extra piece of metal on the topside of the DVD Drive (you can see that in the picture, has a number "2" on it), that means the drive is a D2C2 correct? Also I didn't see any cut legs.
This modchip/wii-clip combo will work just fine right?: Modchip Central
Or should I buy this combo from somewhere else because I've read bad reviews of that site.
What is a U.S.-based site that I can buy the same combo from??
Also, how is the shipping times from that site to say Shelton, CT? I ask because it seems that they are in Canada.
Thanks for any replies in advance!

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
You can't be sure that it's a D2C2 - but it probably is, if it's this new.

Just make sure you get a chip that is compatible with D2C2/D2E - ie D2Pro9 with D2C2 sticker, or Wasabi with D2C2 sticker...

just4747

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks, sounds good.

Any suggestions for a U.S.-based (or any with quick shipping to the states) site that has good reviews and has a D2Pro9 (with v2 fw I think I read is best for D2C2) pre-soldered to a Wii-Clip like the one I posted above??

As of right now it's between that site:

(http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/D2Pro9...iver-p-125.html),

Canadamods (http://canadamods.ca/store/index.php?act=v...mp;productId=49),

and Modchip Depot (http://www.modchip-depot.com/product_info....;products_id=29).

Any suggestions from anyone among these three? Also, can someone visit all three and give me their opinions about all 3 combos? They are all similar but with slight variations I believe.

ALSO, how do I know if I'm going to need to solder the one wire even while using the Wii-clip like I've read some people having to do with this similar combo because of incompatibility? Thanks!

just4747

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, just ordered this D2Pro9 and Wii-Clip combo for my Wii: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/D2Pro9...iver-p-125.html

One more question: Can all kinds of necessary updates for this chip be done via DVD now like WiiKey? Or do you still need to use a programmer for certain types of updates (game compatibility updates, firmware updates, etc..)?? It says comes with flat cable for programming, but doesn't say how it is used or what else you might need.
If so, do I need to buy a separate D2Pro programming chip that that flat cable connects to or what? Just a USB cable to connect to my PC?
Is any of that necessary at all?
None of the sites say anything like "You might as well buy this programmer chip as well when buying this modchip, because present/future updates will require it."
The D2Pro site and the Modchip Central site are very vague on updating and what is needed for it.
Thanks in advance.

just4747

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol well then how do any topics get seen when they are pages back? I'm just looking for a few answers, I didn't think I was hurting anything...

ModchipCentral

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just4747 said:
Okay, just ordered this D2Pro9 and Wii-Clip combo for my Wii: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/D2Pro9...iver-p-125.html

One more question: Can all kinds of necessary updates for this chip be done via DVD now like WiiKey? Or do you still need to use a programmer for certain types of updates (game compatibility updates, firmware updates, etc..)?? It says comes with flat cable for programming, but doesn't say how it is used or what else you might need.
If so, do I need to buy a separate D2Pro programming chip that that flat cable connects to or what? Just a USB cable to connect to my PC?
Is any of that necessary at all?
None of the sites say anything like "You might as well buy this programmer chip as well when buying this modchip, because present/future updates will require it."
The D2Pro site and the Modchip Central site are very vague on updating and what is needed for it.
Thanks in advance.

The DVD update for the D2Pro9 updates the SPI flash only (minor firmware fixes) meanwhile the D2Prog updates the complete Actel chip and the SPI as well (major updates and fixes). The flat cable plugs into the D2Pro9 chip itself and you can leave the other end hanging out the back of the Wii if you ever need to connect it to the D2Prog for updating.

The D2Prog comes with the USB cable as well.

Hope that clears some things up
smile.gif

just4747

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks for the reply. So I need to buy that programmer chip separate then. Can you link me to a site with one so I can see which it is I need (this I'm guessing: this one). Is it that one specific brand/kind I need (the d2prog from the same maker as the modchip) or are there more than one option?
Also, I know the flat cable goes from the modchip to the programmer and the usb cable goes from the programmer to the PC, but how does that whole process work?
Do both of those connections actually have to be made all at once and the update starts on the PC? What app/software does this update?..just what you download from resources from the d2pro site?
Will my modchip come with the most updated fw/software (best for my modchip as of right now) so that I only need to do this programmer updating in the future? Sooooo confused!!! I don't get why separate programmer chips are even needed, why didn't they make it so you can directly connect from the modchip to the PC for updating?? And how will I know what can/needs to be updated by DVD and what by programmer?

just4747

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also to add to above, how often do you think one will need the update using the programmer? I'm asking to see if it's worth having the cable be hanging out of the back of the wii permanently or not. Are there any tutorials or pics of this so I can see how ppl do it? Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho