Question about dash 2.0.8955

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TheMadHatter, Jul 2, 2014.

1. TheMadHatter
    OP

TheMadHatter Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    So i've got a Phat Jasper Xbox 360 laying around here which has an old drive hack on it (1.3 or something, I honestly can't remember) but it looks like someone updated it past the mentioned Jtag dash version since it's on 2.0.8955.

My question is, are there still options for a hardmod. Jtagging is pretty much out of the question I assume but... idk, could someone please advise?

I was planning to RGH or JTAG it and soldering in an extra HDD (which I saw someone do in the past) thinking "It's a phat that hasn't been online for a couple of years so I doubt it will be unhackable"
    Not really looking for a software flash or a drive emulator or something, really wanted a RGH or JTAG

Small edit: I was thinking about a chip like this or something http://www.consolepro.nl/coolrunner-revd-clone-p-1266.html dunnow if that's enough for a full RGH1 or could someone point me to whatever runs fastest :P

2. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    inb4 DinohScene :D

RGH is compatible with every model 360 (except Xenon) on any dash. Xecuter's CR4 is due to release soon(ish), and apparently has an easier install than any previous RGH chip.

DinohScene likes this.
  3. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    lol I was just editing my post :P

I was looking at something like this http://www.consolepro.nl/coolrunner-revd-clone-p-1266.html since the Rev C seems to be out of stock until further notice.
    Idk if I need a DemoN aswell, I might aswell just for the nand flash, I'm kind of debating if I should get the DemoN or just a nand programmer for a coolrunner, I never use XBlive and as far as I know there's a Kaid available for 360 aswell right?

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    JTAG is over yes so your only option is RGH or R-JTAG.
    7371 is the last JTAG vulnerable update.

I'd update it 12625 first, that's the last dash that doesn't reflash the DVD drive.
    Then I'd flash the drive back to stock ( Your 360 might spew out trouble when you keep the hacked DVD firmware on the drive whilst updating) after that, update the console to 14699 or update it to the last dash.
    After updating to 14699 you can get any coolrunner chip to RGH it.
    Get an R-JTAG chip if you updated it past 14699.

Or wait till the Coolrunner 4 has been released (should be soon)

To RGH it, you'll need a JRunner programmer and a CR4 chip or R-JTAG or any other Coolrunner chip.

Edit:
    I'd just get a JRunner programmer.
    DemoN is pretty much only needed if you want to Dual NAND.
    Seeing you never connect to Live anyway, I'd say cheap out and go for that ;p
    Aye, LiNK is a "replacement" for XBLive on FSD.
    However, it only allows syslink games.

Edit:
    I personally prefer TX products, none of the shitty cloned stuff.
    They got superb hardware and it's worth the extra few quid.

5. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    Woah, I currently own nothing to flash anything.
    Could you point me to the stuff I'd need?

http://www.consolepro.nl/xbox-360-jtag-en-rgh-c-22_94.html

I figured soldering in a CR rev D would work right out of the box since I didn't notice anyone mentioning anything about it on the webshops i've visited :P

All R-JTAG chips seem to be either out of stock or not here yet, dunnow if there's any other dealer that does have them but this is the only dutch reseller I can find on xecuters website.

6. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Get this one to dump the NAND (and later on flash a hacked one back)
    And if you're impatient, you can get the CR clone ;]

Nay you'll have to program the Coolrunner with a programmer cable.
    CR4 shouldn't need a programmer cable nor does the R-JTAG need one.
    Then it's a matter of dumping the NAND, flashing the CR with a timing file, boot it to obtain the CPU key, build a hacked one and flash that to the console.

R-JTAG is indeed out of stock (phased out in favor of the upcoming CR4)

7. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    Ah i'm not really in a hurry, if they're releasing a much better version (for roughly the same price) on short notice I'd rather wait for that one ofc ;).
    Don't really feel like waiting for things to boot for a minute lol.

The programmer cable works with just the programmer and a CR right? You don't need the nand dumper or whatever right?

8. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Aye if you're willing to wait a few weeks then I highly suggest doing so ;p
    CR4 is said to have near instaboot boottimes without much tweaking.

Programmer cable is only needed to write timingfiles to the old CR's.
    Their not needed for new ones.

NAND dumper is needed yep.
    Regardless of glitchchip you pick.

9. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    Patience is a virtue right, i'll wait for the CR4 then ;)

So, what exactly would I need, like, everything + the CR4, I'm kinda lost on that one haha.

Edit: and can you reuse the nand reader/CR programmer, whatever you need.

10. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    You'll need the JRprogammer and the CR4.
    Along with a fine tipped soldering iron and some solder.
    Plus a steady hand and some patience ;p

Nope, the 360's NAND flashers are for 360 only.

11. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    Alright, JRprogrammer it is then, is there a significant difference between v1 and v2 other then 15 euro lol.
    Fine tipped soldering iron I have, 4mm diameter that heats up to 500 degrees celcius I use for small electronics (like building ecigs or flashlight or whatever really) along with .3 soldering tin with 2% flux (and just a bottle of some flux in general :P).
    Steady hand, myeah, somewhat lol a detailed instruction or even some QSB's should get me there... I hope... lol

I meant like, is the NAND flasher reuseable for other 360's or do you need to solder in parts or whatever hehe.

12. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    V2 has support for the rater, professional installers use that feature.
    V1 is fine enough for dumping needs.

I personally use Griffon soldering equipment.
    60/40 lead/tin rosin core <3

Aye, NAND flasher is reusable on other 360's as you only solder in a few wires.

13. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    Yeah I could barely call myself a professional at this point, more like, beginner sloooowly working his way up lol.

To be honest, my soldering equipment is from china (FastTech), I expected absolutely nothing from it but it's surprisingly good xD
    That includes the tin and everything, just bought a bunch of it because all of it got great reviews must say it's actually pretty good, not 60/40 lead/tin rosin core good but good none the less (especially knowing that I payed virtually nothing for a big a## roll).

Sweet so you can just put ur solder sucker on it and remove the NAND flasher parts once you're done?
    That's actually a good investment then, even extremely late to the scene (with the xbox one already around for a while) people still like to get their 360's modded :).

14. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'm still in the looks for a temperature controlled soldering station.
    Shits expensive but worth it.

Eh, I just heat up the solder n slowly pull the wire out the pinholes.
    Solder suckers are annoying to use, desoldering braid is much easier for it.

Aye I meself also offer modding services Europe wide.
    People are more likely to get an ODDE tho since you can still connect to Live with it.
    Live service should be still up for another 5 years.

15. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    I was looking at one of those stations myself, there are a few cheap ones (especially if you import them) but it's always a gamble how good they actually are.

Soldering braid is indeed alot easier, I should get a couple of rolls of that, always comes in handy. Do you leave the solder in its place though after you pull out the wires? I guess it wouldn't make much difference if you did (unless you soldered the entire board together ofcourse :P).

I noticed your modding service, I would have taken you up on your offer but it's seriously about time I learn how to do it myself I've spent way to much on getting things hardmodded in the past :P
    Softmodding I can do but hardmodding, idk, I've always been scared to f up or something because it's a expensive machine or something.

You could just get a DemoN and still run live right? Idk, I never use it, it's way overpriced IMO. I will use the free one once mine is modded, maybe some people actually play final fantasy online but I highly doubt that lol.
    ODDE's are great, the only downside is that you can't tinker with the system at all, it just emulates the drive and thats it.
    More then good enough for 90% of the users but not for those that like to mess around with things :).
    I must say that Live does stay "live" longer then I expected. Nintendo just pulled the plug on Wii servers for example waving "f you, buy a U" while they did.

Small edit:
    Btw, I found a guide where someone soldered a random HDD into his/her 360, is that possible? Cuz I still have a 500GB drive left from whatever brand is in a Dell Dimension 9150, would be a cheap expansion :)

16. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I leave em in place aye.
    No need to clean em up as I heat the solder of the NAND LPT port and stick the wires through it ;p

Nah the points on a 360 are tiny, that's what makes it annoying/difficult.

Yar, DemoN switches off the glitchchip and boots the console to a retail state when you'll go on Live.
    Hacked state, it'll boot from the hacked NAND with the chip on.

ODDE's is what the majority of the people wants.
    They don't care about homebrew nor do they care about texture hacking/game modding.

Live for the original Xbox lasted until 2010.
    360 saw its light in Nov 2005 and the original service for the Xbox halted in March '10.
    Almost 5 years after the 360's launch.
    In 2008 iirc, MS just gave you a 360 when you send in an old Xbox that was broken (and still under warranty)

Humm, you can upgrade the internal HDD of the 360 with a 2.5 inch lappy HD.
    2TB max.
    So that way you can still use your DVD drive to rip games to the internal HDD ;]

17. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    Lol great to know that the points are freakishly small, that's going to be one hell of a mess the first time I try it.
    I honestly never opened the case before so I never checked, figured they'd atleast be a little bigger in the Phat cuz of it's space lol.

Yah I know, most people want ODDE's until right after all multiplayer fails and then they suddenly want to go on something like KAID (whatever it was called again for 360 :P), I hear alot of people about Wii online replacement networks aswell, need to check into that aswell. Kind of shoved the Wii to the side because I was ripped off with one of those infectus chips that *poof* over night along with all of it's support so I ended up softmodding but then it didn't boot my Freecom HDD in Wiiflow and started glitching on my New Super Mario Bros backup so I went "Meh" and shoved it into a corner lol.

Hmm, the original xbox live support was actually longer then the 360's live support then... Then again, companies now a days are more about quantity then quality so it's either buy a new one or play solo.

Hmmm just a 2.5 lappy HDD, I think the ones I have are pretty small space wise hmmm no way to fit a 3.5 in it?:P
    Or I could just dangle it outside in a home made enclosure haha.

18. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I can strip a 360 to the Mobo in less 5 mins.
    Easy as fuck haha.

Tbh, Wii multiplay support dropped sooner then everyone expected.
    However it's kinda logical since the Wii online was plagued by cheaters, thanks to the ease of softmodding.
    I seriously hate cheaters, piracy, fine, as long as you dun get caught online it's fine, cheating, please hang yourself.
    It's really ruining the entire online experience.

360's Live support is prolly up till 2020.
    Seeing the 360 still gots loads of games coming out.
    By the time it's 2020, the next Xbox is already deep in development, hardly anyone plays the 360 then.

Eh, I dun like USB when you got the possibility of swapping the internal disc for a larger one.
    Seeing that SATA is quicker as well.

19. TheMadHatter
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Netherlands
    Haha ok, i'll give it a shot anyway, get me a xbox opening tool and see where things go from there. It usually looks harder then it actually is.
    Atleast, that's my experience :P.

Yeah nintendo's security sucks, it really does and they know it. The fact that people cheat online or even offline... I never got it.. ofcourse I've used an unlimited cash or whatever cheat in my gaming past but tbh, it kinda gets boring, quickly.
    Running on a private protocol like whatever it's called now instead of nintendo live would give people the option to add moderators though, cheaters get kicked etc.
    Would make gaming alot more fun imo. Pirating is something else, you can do whatever you want in that area, just buy the game if you really really like it :).

Alot of 360 games will most likely be played by people on Xbox Ones and the moment it's hackable alot of people that don't wait in line for 5 days before the release will migrate from their xbox 360 to a One whenever they have the cash laying around.
    I however never liked the fact that xbox charged a shitload for playing on their servers. You buy expensive games want to play them online and get slapped with a big ass subscription cost.
    For example, look at the rates of Final Fantasy Online (XI I think) you pay for the game, the expensions, the game subscription AND for xbox live, that sets you back around 250 bucks to start with and then 50 bucks a month or something.... I'm not paying that to play a game, seriously, World of Warcraft is expensive as it is and they're alot cheaper...

I meant like, soldering in a drive (I think the drive in the Dimension was 320GB so I can store like 40x 8GB game backups on it? something like that) and then leading the wires outside to some homemade enclosure (or just a roll of electrical tape lol). External disks, yeah I'll use a USB disk cuz I just have one laying around but I'd quicker buy a internal disk because it's both faster and cheaper. You can always buy a HDD bay thing if you want to use them externally through USB anyway.

20. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I do it with a small flathead screwdriver.
    Imho much easier then a opening tool.

Cheating offline is fine.
    Online is what ruins it for everyone.
    I can understand offline cheating for having more fun in a game tho.

Neh, people will buy a Xbone regardless of piracy status.
    Just look at the PS3, it did very well with it's 5 years of being unhacked thanks to Linux.
    Eh, I'd rather pay 40 quid a year for a service that doesn't go down every month for a few days.
    Xbox hardly had outages whilst PSN was down multiple times.
    Then again, each to their own, XBLG is not required to play games.
    Only to play online games.

Yar you can solder one in, but you'll have to sacrifice the DVD drive for it ;p
    I personally would just pay some for a 1TB lappy drive and use that.
    Use the 320 GB in an enclosure to transfer games to the 360 (or use FTP for it)