Gaming Question about console bans and Nintendo's rights

zKin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if my question sounds really stupid, but, it intrigues me : can Nintendo really legitimately ban online for consoles with CFW, unauthorized content?

I'm ok with sanctions (i'm not saying ban, because warnings can exist) with people who cheat online to gain advantages, like, for example, extra speed on Mario Kart ONLINE (important word) or other online gamemodes, because they are ruining the game experience for other people who paid. It's like assuring the quality.

But, when it comes to bans console of people with unauthorized content, CFW, Homebrews etc... I don't get how they can be their own judge and say "you have to get sanctions because you can install games without paying them and violate copyrights". They're not judges!
I have an example : when artists put art online, they're not coming into each house with a computer with access to internet to destroy them because they can eventually download their art... And if those people do, they don't burn his house because he eventually got a print of it by himself, without paying the artist. No, artists complaint to the competent autority, to get reparation, and eventually get sanction for the thief. That's how it works, normally (at least in France... where Nintendo still do that). If artists try to act directly by giving sanctions to thiefs, they will get troubles too!

How can Nintendo justify console bans for that ? To bypass justice for copyright infringement?

Thanks for your attention;

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because it's against their term of services. They have to do that in order to protect game developers, publishers and their own investors. They can't destroy or take back the console because it's your property and that would be against the law, but they can and will stop you from using their services.

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you buy the console, in effect, you agree to their terms and conditions, so you do not have a leg to stand on.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How can Nintendo justify console bans for that ?
Nintendo Network is a privately owned service, and any business owner has the right to reject any customer (as long as the reason is not considered legally a discrimination)

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When you buy the console, in effect, you agree to their terms and conditions, so you do not have a leg to stand on.
Actually, you don't. When you start using Nintendo software or services, that is where the TOS plays into it, not before that. In essence, you own the hardware, they own the software and merely let you borrow it until they see fit to terminate the license. So they could legally brick your console for violating their TOS. Which they don't, lucky you. They simply ban you from their online services and leave you to a life of offline.

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, you don't. When you start using Nintendo software or services, that is where the TOS plays into it, not before that. In essence, you own the hardware, they own the software and merely let you borrow it until they see fit to terminate the license. So they could legally brick your console for violating their TOS. Which they don't, lucky you. They simply ban you from their online services and leave you to a life of offline.

I don't bother gaming online on the 3DS, I've got my PC for that

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't bother gaming online on the 3DS, I've got my PC for that
It is not something Ive done a lot either, but games like Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon has surprisingly fun online play. Mario Golf isnt as fun, youre basically playing "ghosts" of other players, but it is still nice.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

They can't legally brick devices, at least not in a lot of countries.
Them deliberately setting out to harm devices they do not own (some places will effectively do a "permanent lease" of a device) is not cool. If your hacked device tried to update from their service and it just so happened to fail when updating because of the hacks you did then that is a different matter.

Otherwise what others have said. Online play is their own private luxury* network
*I make sure to include luxury in these sorts of comments as there are services that are considered essential/human rights in certain places and internet is counted among those in some. This however is unarguably a luxury network.

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo have shown their disregard for consumer law in the EU already once, why wouldnt they do it once more? But I believe even they think a total bricking of a compromised device is going too far. Simply cutting it off is enough, and it does harm the value of the device for the owner. Can you sell off this device to a new owner without mentioning that it has been permanently banned? You would at least be giving them a big discount.

But what stops them? You have violated the terms, we now disable your device. They could do that, you know.

Last edited by tacticurn,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What disregard are you speaking of? I try to keep on top of such things and I am not aware of any here.

Edit
" But what stops them? You have violated the terms, we now disable your device. They could do that, you know. "
The device is legally your property. For them to reach out and destroy your property would be a violation of all sorts of property rights.

Last edited by FAST6191,

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Norwegian Consumer Advocay has ruled that Nintendo violates consumer law by not allowing refunds on preorders. Nintendo claims that the service immediately begins at the preordering time, as some or all of the software downloads to your device. It is simply not enabled for consumption before the official date. And so far they refuse to allow refunds on preorders.

It didn't go to the courts, so they are not in defiance of law. Just not playing nice ;) Google for futher deets.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah OK I was entirely unaware of that one. Thanks for the info. Not sure it is an indicator of things they would do in the sorts of scenarios we are discussing here but interesting to consider.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
when it comes to bans console of people with unauthorized content, CFW, Homebrews etc... I don't get how they can be their own judge and say "you have to get sanctions because you can install games without paying them and violate copyrights". They're not judges!

If you went in to a restaurant, had a meal and left without paying, would you expect to be welcomed back?

No you wouldn't.

Same applies to the Eshop, you leeched all the content for free. So the owner bans you from the shop.

That's fair enough, you deserved the ban.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you went in to a restaurant, had a meal and left without paying, would you expect to be welcomed back?

No you wouldn't.

Same applies to the Eshop, you leeched all the content for free. So the owner bans you from the shop.

Mostly correct, but you forgot the part where they left the kitchen and fridge open to everyone (without even entering the building normally) for years and only recently they have planned to block this access (without doing it yet) ;)

zKin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks all for your answers :),

No you wouldn't.

Tell me if i'm wrong, but I think Nintendo don't only ban thiefs, but also people with unauthorized software like homebrews, CFW in general... ?

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mostly correct, but you forgot the part where they left the kitchen and fridge open to everyone (without even entering the building normally) for years and only recently they have planned to block this access (without doing it yet) ;)
Leaving the door open still makes it illegal for you to go in and avail yourself. We could argue that insurance companies would refuse to reimburse you, but the law would still be broken.

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Leaving the door open still makes it illegal for you to go in and avail yourself. We could argue that insurance companies would refuse to reimburse you, but the law would still be broken.

True. If you leave your door open and someone goes in and takes something, it is still theft.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Thanks all for your answers :),

Tell me if i'm wrong, but I think Nintendo don't only ban thiefs, but also people with unauthorized software like homebrews, CFW in general... ?

That's also true and most likely because many people are using homebrew / cfw to cheat in online games. Look at all the hacked Pokemon or the cheaters in Mario Kart online for example.

If people didn't abuse Nintendo's online services, their would be less incentive to ban people.

I'm all for homebrew and CFW, however you should stay offline with it in my opinion. Microsoft have banned people since 2002 for having a modded / homebrew enabled console. I think Nintendo gamers are a shocked Nintendo have finally have the ability to crack down on people abusing their online services.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr